Chapter Six: Suicide Is Not Easy

When I walk into a bar, I expect things to get a little rowdy. Weird shit to go down, creepy guys, one night stands, the usual. What I do not expect is to be tucked into the side of a man who has another man by the throat and is stabbing his chest with toothpicks. 

"Klaus stop! You're hurting him." I said fearfully, grabbing for his hand and trying to get out of the cage of limbs he has created for me. I looked him dead in the eye. "Let him go," I growled angrily. 

"You will be quiet and watch. Not a peep from you, Wildfire." 

Klaus was compelling me or trying to. I turned around and made eye contact with Damon. The oldest Salvatore brother nodded at me, telling me that it was okay. 

All I had to do was keep quiet. 

Klaus moved the toothpick around in Damon's chest a little bit, trying to aim for the heart. "Ohh. Almost."

I saw the desperation in Damon's eyes, he didn't want to die. Tears were slipping down my face. I didn't like watching people in pain, yet I couldn't look away or make a sound or Klaus would know that I wasn't as Vervain free as he wanted me to be. "You want a partner in crime? Forget Stefan. I'm so much more fun."

With that comment, Klaus threw Damon into a table, causing a ruckus as he stalked forward, grabbing a piece of wood as he went. "You won't be any fun after you're dead." Just as Klaus raised the stake, I felt a scream bubbling in my throat. 

I couldn't do this. I wasn't built for this, it's what I told my parents years ago when they approached me about joining the council. 

The stake set aflame and Klaus dropped it. I sighed in relief. "Really?" He asked, his gaze fixed on Gloria.

The old witch who I have grown to like more and more didn't back down from Klaus. She was unafraid of him. "Not in my bar. You take it outside." 

For a moment I was scared Klaus would kill Damon anyways, despite what Gloria said, but when he pushed Damon back down and spoke, I found myself shocked. "You don't have to negotiate your brother's freedom. When I'm done with him, he won't want to go back." Then he stood up and turned to me, leaving Damon alive. 

I had hoped that Damon would take the opportunity and run, but he didn't. Instead, he stayed. "Let Europa go, Jeremy has lost enough already." He said. 

Klaus paused and looked at me, then at Damon. "I will let my plaything go when I want to and not before, do you understand? Europa, darling, come here." For a moment I considered not doing it, but then I would have wasted a perfectly good chance for me to be released to go home. 

So I walked straight to Klaus with no arguments. 

When I reached him, he grabbed me in a vice grip against his chest. There was a soft sound before his wrist was against my mouth, his blood seeping through my lips and down my throat. I felt the need to gag and tried to repress it.

Damon's eyes widened, and he jumped to his feet. "No. Klaus, don't." 

I felt scared as I stared into Klaus' eyes. "I want you to take this knife and slice your throat open." 

The knife was in my hands now, but I knew there was no way I could do this. Even knowing I would come back, I was terrified. It is no easy task to kill oneself. "I don't want to die." I whimpered. 

I was stalling, the knife was slowly going to my throat, but I was throwing one last ditch effort to get Klaus to allow me to live. "I know, but you'll do it." 

Just before I was about the yield and admit to having taken Vervain, the cold blade against my throat telling me that a few days less of comfortable captivity wasn't worth dying over, someone else intervened. The muscles in my hand opened and dropped the knife, and I went to my knees.