9

word count:
warning:

monday rolled around way too soon. and as much as kaycee hated it, there was a different vibe to this new monday in her life.

she felt fresh and new, like she finally had a clean slate to work on herself. she told herself this was going to be her first official day at a new school year, like the past week never happened.

we never want to discuss that mess of a kaycee rice ever again.

so today, on a brand new day, she was starting over and restarting everything.

she lived a decade of her life without a boy making it miserable and depressive, and she's going to continue living that type of life now — like what she always should've done.

no sean, no boys, no more overthinking, no more looking back.

just her, and the newer things, and the present.

"looking good today, babe, what's poppin'?!" tahani exclaimed at the first sighting of the beaming girl. "you look like you're glowing, like for real!"

kaycee was still shy about everything and anything, but she shook her head and replied, "do i really look okay?"

the girl twirled around in front of her two bestfriends, and they grinned even bigger at her.

"those jeans really really look good on you, kayc," bailey complimented, "and i'm getting a feeling that you're finally...?"

"...finally okay," kaycee finished for her. "thought it over in the weekend, and finally put my head in the right place, as you might say."

her friends could never be more happier as they saw their friend getting better and better. this is what kaycee deserved — happiness, and a good life that didn't get held back by a broken heart anymore.

"hey, kayc!"

the three girls turned around, expecting a certain deguzman and price coming their way. but it was a surprise when it was the tre de rego instead.

it was the first time he's ever approached them in school grounds outside of training, so it was a surprising sight to see him in his full glory, smiling at the three girls.

"hey, tre, what's up?" kaycee asked, cocking her head to the side. "i've never gotten around to... thanking you for that night."

the boy shook his head lightly, a smirk on his lips. "it's no biggie, kayc, you needed it after..."

"yep, we do not talk about that anymore."

"understandable." and the two chuckled as if it was an inside joke. "who would even dare remember such a night?"

"definitely not me," kaycee let out a 'pft', shaking around her curls as she mentally cringed at what tre must have seen that night. "but really though, thank you so much. we're not even close yet you do something like that for me — i really am grateful for what you did."

"hey, we're friends now! that's what friends do, right?" tre grinned even bigger, offering kaycee a hand to shake. "to make it official?"

the girl stared at the outstretched hand, and laughed a little at how silly it is. but she took it, shook his head, and nodded. "officially friends."

it was like they had forgotten the fact that bailey and tahani were right behind them. and now, the two girls were sharing knowing looks and suspicious smiles. it was right that kaycee was finally getting her shit together, and this was just the cherry on top of the sundae.

"there's another party this coming friday," tre opened up again. but this time, he was also looking at bailey and tahani. "a little celebratory party after the school opening show. y'all down for that?"

the two girls were quick to squeal and accept the invitation, and kaycee gently nodded in a much calmer way.

what could possibly go wrong this time around? she could have more fun with her life, and she should continue with her sudden knack for attending parties.

"sure," kaycee responded, "text me the details? or sienna's gonna announce it later at training."

"will definitely text you the deets either way," tre nodded, cocking his head to the side. his eyes were caught on something behind kaycee, and his lips hiked up in a smirk for the littlest bit. "don't turn around, but someone's looking at you."

lo and behold, kaycee's head turned around almost automatically.

and there it was, the boy she was preparing for.

sean lew, across the hall with jenna and a few of their friends, staring curiously at her. and he didn't care that he was caught — he only tilted his head to the side even more when he locked eyes with kaycee.

with a flush in kaycee's cheeks, her head snapped back to meet tre's teasing look. "shut up, don't even."

the two girls cackled, and tre smiled even more. "nah, that's completely normal. wouldn't be surprised he's looking at you. i mean, you look different today — a good different."

if it was even possible, kaycee's cheeks grew even redder as the seconds passed and the two girls behind her snickered rather loudly.

"anyway, i'm going to class!" tre was already moving back, with his hand waving at kaycee. "text you later, rice!"

"later!" kaycee called after him, shooting him a final smile before turning back to the girls. and they were looking at her with teasing looks and cheesy smiles. "what?"

and as if on cue, the two simultaneously blurted out 'nothing'. but the looks on their faces said otherwise.

"leave me alone!" she grunted, flicking their foreheads with both of her hands. "we're friends!"

and before she could see their annoying reaction, a shoot of an unreadable feeling whizzed up her arm when a certain someone brushed their hand ever so slightly against hers.

and she knew who it was by the way it sent her heart in a fluttering blaze.

but she couldn't dare look back — knowing she had to have progress with herself somehow, and she was already doing well.

and knowing that he was looking at her, despite the fact that his other hand was intertwined with jenna while they walked together to class.

with that, she shoved every single feeling that rose inside of her and locked them inside an imaginary box.

not today, not again, not ever.

never again, sean lew, i'm not falling for this again.