Chapter Thirteen

On Thursday, Lawson found himself back in that pink bean bag chair, drinking a fruity wine cooler that Reese had forced on him despite his protests that it was "eleven o'clock on a Thursday". He didn't really mind though, because it tasted good, and by drinking it, he was reducing the amount of alcohol the two freshman had in their room, which was absolutely stifling. Lawson feared what would happen if the RA decided to do a random room check.

On the topic of alcohol, both boys were trying to convince Lawson to attend another party with then that Saturday, along with Nathan, and his "new boy". This made Lawson roll his eyes, since Reese clearly hadn't even bothered to remember Sean's name, but still constantly nagged Lawson to introduce them.

"I don't know, guys," Lawson said, tracing the rim of his bottle with his forefinger and watching the motion. He found it to be slightly hypnotizing, and it kept his gaze off of Reese, who could make himself look so ridiculously cute sometimes that it was impossible to say no to him, no matter how annoying he got. "Sean and I really haven't talked about parties, so I'm not sure if he goes to those kinds of things. Also, after Monday night, I'm guessing Nathan wants nothing to do with alcohol". I'm guessing was as sure as Lawson could get at the moment, since the only communication him and Nathan had engaged in over the last two days was a handful of text messages discussing times that Nathan could take Sean and him out to lunch to thank them.

It was funny to Lawson that Nathan constantly bombarded him with stupid messages until there was actually something Lawson wanted to know about, and then the other boy would be unusually absent. Luckily this time it didn't seem like Lawson would have to wait much longer, since him and Sean were meeting Nathan in about an hour.

"Well you should still ask," Kye said at the same time Reese asked:

"What happened on Monday?"

Lawson addressed Kye, and ignored Reese, because that seemed easiest. "I'll bring it up today. The three of us are going to get lunch". Reese suddenly pouted. "What?"

"Nathan gets to meet him before we do?" He asked, sounding wounded and Lawson shrugged.

"I've known Nathan longer," was his response, and then Kye cleared his throat and Lawson added, "than I've know you, Reese, and I figured Kye isn't easily wounded by these things and wouldn't care". The boy in question nodded in agreement. "Besides, they met a while ago".

A gasp left Reese. "Well, can we come to lunch then?"

"No," Lawson rejected and Kye laughed a little at Reese's dejected expression. "Normally, that would be fine, but just... not this time. Nathan is taking the two of us out to thank us".

"Thank you for what?" It was Kye who asked this time, which was surprising since he was rarely curious about things other people did. The look on his face though had Lawson suspecting he had asked just so Reese wouldn't.

"Thank us for Monday night," Lawson answered, his voice hoarse so he took another sip of his drink. The bubbles burned his throat like fire. He coughed, which gave him a few extra seconds to delay answering the question that was in Reese's eyes. "Monday night... Glenn went out and drank too much so Nathan went to get him but he needed a ride so Sean and I gave him one". That was only a somewhat accurate summarization, but that was the only way Lawson could think of to phrase it to minimize the questions that could be asked.

"Why did Glenn go out and drink? Because Nathan dumped him?" Reese asked, and Lawson was simply about to say yes and end it at that, but he recalled something Glenn had said in the back of Nathan's car as Lawson drove them to the apartment, something that Lawson had pushed to the back of his mind in favor for remembering every second of making breakfast with Sean the next morning. His gaze slid to Kye, who looked immediately alarmed.