XXXIII

"Ms. Zelin, it's quite the pleasure."

My lips settled into a small smile that looked genuine but exposed something much more sinister. I set the small bourbon glass in my hand down on the dark mahogany coffee table I stood near, water rippling in the crystal cup. The tapestry beneath my feet was a rich red and gold-toned pattern, the thick carpeting contrasting against my luxurious black heels. The large, empty room carried my voice powerfully as light streamed through the floor to ceiling windows. "The pleasure is all mine, Ambassador Khan. It has been too long," my pseudo-Saudi accent echoed through the air.

"Yet my country has reaped the benefits of your actions and aid for years," the forty-year-old from Abu Dhabi told me with a grateful yet suspicious tone. Old friends were the least of my concerns right now. I was mear hours away from being arrested and or killed. I watched intently as he set down his water glass on the table, gesturing for me to sit on one of the expensive white couches while unbuttoning his black suit jacket and sitting in the chair at the head of the sofas. I followed his lead, crossing my ankles daintily as I sat with a strong posture. "The United Arab Emirates is very thankful for your contributions over the years. I can't help but wonder what assistance you could require from my country."

I pursed my lips, seemingly debating a response which I already had planned out to a perfect tee. Regardless of how in shambles my personal life was, I needed to hold my professional shit together or I would be dead by noon tomorrow. "I've done a lot for your country, Mr. Ambassador. I've exposed foreign agents in your allies territory, brought multimillion-dollar companies to your country, providing hundreds of thousands of jobs, and I've all but shined your shoes. I have some intelligence on a major weapons deal, but I need some assurance. I only want the best for the Emirates; my loyalty to you has spoken over the years."

The Ambassador grinned to himself in a small way, knowing he had expected no less from me. Despite that, he still had to play hardball and that was a game I could respect. "I'm sure you know can't make promises without solid facts, Ms. Zelin."

"Israel has a new weapons system worth ten billion US dollars. I can give the details of that, but I need some assurances you can work your magic with the Saudi government should they decide they don't like me very much anymore. As you know, alliances change quite frequently, Mr. Ambassador."

His ears seemed to perk up at the mention of Israel. I could practically see the pride in his dark pupils, ready to parade to his President and royal families the news of the new intelligence he gained.

My lips could help but tip up into a small, knowing smirk. The man I loved had just left me, my only coworker was dead, and two former bosses of mine had bullets in their heads. There was no one left to protect me and no one left to take the fall. I was going to get what I had coming and this man was my only hope. I could run from my enemies for the rest of my life, but that didn't mean I wanted to.

This whole time I had been convinced I could run forever. Now, it seemed that once all of my greed was gone, I was left as a tired shell of a human being. I needed comfort and solace to fall back on when I finished my job. The end was approaching, but it wasn't here yet. I was just getting my ducks in a line.

"The Emirates are always willing to welcome you without raising an eyebrow, Ms. Zelin. It's the least we could do after all of your help over the years."

"Good. The Isreali government has the schematics for a new ballistic missile system and soon enough they will have the most efficient weapons in the world. It comes straight from Goriznot courtesy of yours truly. I am sorry for that, Mr. Ambassador, but money is money. Though like I said earlier, I do have your countries best interest in mind."

"My only living comrade took care of Mr. Dayan. He should be dead within the next few hours. Knowing him, that drive will die with him. No one else in their government would sanction such a deal with criminals. Besides, the government wouldn't have the skills to unencrypt the drive. The security was designed by one of the best hackers in the world. But that brings me to my next point; there is a dead CIA agent, a dead oil executive, and a dead hacker all at my doing. I give it a good two hours before someone finds one of the bodies if not all. My tracks are covered decently well but I'm looking for insurance. Besides, I'm sure there is much more intelligence I can provide as compensation for asylum should it come to that," I reasoned confidently in fluid Arabic. All my cards where on the table, I just hoped the Ambassador would fold first.

There was a tense moment of silence, but I remained calm. My sniper breathing maintained my heart rate at a low pace, keeping my brain set in a docile state despite my analytical senses. Eventually, the Ambassador leaned forwards on his chair slightly, using his hands as he spoke. "You are aware that my country has extradition with both Saudi Arabia and Russia, correct?"

"Yes," I acknowledged with a nod. "Yet your country's courts have struck down every extradition request from Russia over the years and I highly doubt the Saudi's will push for my extradition should they decide I no longer benefit them. My main concern is that you do not have extradition with the United States, Israel, or France."

"And this dead oil executive?" He prompted with a raised grey eyebrow, knowing I was speaking of Rick.

"A majority of his assets are in your country. You will absorb his personal accounts and the board will most likely keep the company in your country considering the large profit the location has to offer. It's a risk-free situation." I didn't need to think twice about that response. Sure, Ashton and I had skimmed some off the top of Rick's accounts, but there was more than enough left to make the Emiratis happy.

"I appreciate the initiative you took in coming here to tell me of this...development," the ambassador started out, observing my face carefully. "You've always been a friend to my country though I can't help wonder what happens when we are no longer what you see as favorable."

"Don't mistake blind obedience with faithfulness, Mr. Ambassador. I do not show loyalty to those who have wronged me. But, I am always faithful to those who are faithful to me. I chose you as an ally, Ambassador Khan. You have done nothing to betray me in the past, so I want to come to your aid. All I'm asking is a little reassurance," I answered simply.

A small smile appeared on his face as he spoke. "My President and my Prince would be more than welcoming of you into my country. I can't speak for the other kingdoms of the United Arab Emirates, but I can assure you that Abu Dhabi will always allow you asylum."

"And my associate?" I posed the question carefully. I was never going to see Ashton again. He made it perfectly clear that's what he wanted, and I couldn't give him. But, I could give him a safe-haven if he ever needed that. Despite our personal lives, professionally he was the best ally I had and I wanted to give him that asylum. Ashton had never betrayed me so I would act as a loyal friend even if we no longer had a relationship, platonic or not.

The older man paused, his dark eyes flipping over my face. With pursed lips, he asked me, "Is he as talented and trustworthy as you?"

"I'd argue Ashton Naifeh is even better."

"Powerful words from someone as self-assured as yourself," he pointed out, buttoning his suit jacket as he stood. I took the cue and stood up myself. When the grey-haired Emirati held out his tanned hand and his deep brown eyes met my own, I knew everything was falling into place.

My boss was dead, my enemies clueless, and my ass protected.

"Any friend of Athena Zelin's is a friend of mine."

It really was a glorious life.