t w e n t y e i g h t

ONE DAY I will smash the lock of my dorm room door into a million pieces

ONE DAY I will smash the lock of my dorm room door into a million pieces. Mark my words. I spend at least a solid five minutes trying to unlock and lock my door every single time with a few deranged kicks and dull punches to the stupid wooden slab. 

I was muttering a few unladylike words under my breath when Luke decided to give me a heart attack. 

"Having trouble there?" He questions and I jump, startled so much that I drop my key to the floor, "Oh shit." 

We both bend down to pick it up and at the same time, like a fucking cliche, our hands overlap on top of the key. I glance up instantly, my cheeks flushed as Luke gives me a lopsided smile. I draw my hand back as he picks up the key and we stand up together. 

"This belongs to you." Luke says as holds the key between us. I chuckle lamely as I take the key off him and lock my door. Of course it fucking works now.

"Heh, thanks." I smile awkwardly as I turn to face him. 

"So, where is Miss Always-Busy off to today?" Luke questions, fixing he collar of his faded denim jacket. 

I laugh, "I'm heading over to Penn's and we're going shopping today with Vera. A girl's day of sorts." 

"Sounds fun." Luke smiles and scratches the back of his neck nervously, "Hey I'm free Friday if you know...if you wanna do anything." 

"You mean the greatest date that never happened?" I question, jokingly as Luke tilts his head back and laughs. I nod, "I should be free." 

"No take backs." 

I grin, "Of course not." 

"Sweet." Luke nods to himself proudly. He was so cute, a complete contrast to Chase. Maybe that's why they don't get along because they're so different. "So, I'll pick you up, say, six o'clock on Friday?" 

"Sounds great." 

Luke walks me down to the front of Elwood before we split. He was heading over to the dining hall for a late breakfast. He seemed very excited for our upcoming date and to be honest, I kind of was too. We would be together with no distractions and I'd be able to figure out these confusing feelings inside my head. 

I quickly rush in the direction of Arlington, hugging the leather jacket Vera said I could keep closer to my body. It was getting colder and some days I swear I had been transported to the fucking snowy plains of Antarctica. 

I hurry up the steps of Arlington, realizing how much better it smelt here than Elwood. It was also much brighter with soft, white painted woods and flowers. Whereas Elwood was tiles, grey and green carpets and dark cheery wood covering the walls. 

I greet a few girls who passed me on the stairs before I finally reach Penn's room on the first floor. Opening door I greeted with the most surprising sight. 

"Oh fuck! Sorry." I apologies to Penn and Noah who were busy making out on her bed and stumble backwards out of the room, slamming the door closed after me. I stare at the door, hearing the rustles and hushed, distressed whispers from the other side and I can't help but laugh uncontrollably.