Chapter 27

Last Updated. March 29, 2019

Not Edited.

LEO

Its been a few hours since I arrived in Alena's house yet so much has happened. This time I truly am a father, now that kids know and that Lei and Laila have given me a chance. Pain still pierces my heart whenever I recall how Lucca ran away when he heard the news. But I thank God that I was still fortunate enough to be given the chance to get to know my other children. Over dessert we discussed everything under the sun, their school, baseball, softball, even their "love life". It was kind of strange, being enveloped with I presume to be fatherly protectiveness when Laila admitted she had a crush on some guy in school. But she wouldn't reveal any more details especially with Lei listening. I'll make sure to learn who this guy is. Do a thorough background check.

They also assured me that Lucca was fine. Lei said "He's short-tempered and is really protective of all of us that's why. But don't worry Leo, he'll come around eventually."

Now as  Alena settles Lei and Laila to bed, I am seated in the outside patio determined to earn a chance from Lucca, and to earn all my children's full acceptance. And maybe even win back Alena's heart.

I shake my head at that thought. Not now Leo, there are more important things to focus on.

I rock the swing sofa to calm myself as I look at the star-filled night sky. But then, the quiet is suddenly disturbed by the sound of the sliding door opening. I turn towards the door, expecting to see Alena. Which is why I am thoroughly surprised to see Lucca.

Nervousness spreads inside of me but I plaster a smile, determined to make things right with Lucca. "Hey Lucca."

"Hey ..." he replies quietly "... can I sit beside you?"

I'm shocked at his request but I make sure not to show it when I reply "Sure, go ahead."

He takes a seat beside me on the swing sofa but doesn't say anything. So we settle on looking at the stars enveloped by the gentle and constant swing of the sofa.

"I'm sorry ... for running earlier." Lucca suddenly says.

I give him a smile to show him that I understood before answering "Its okay Lucca. What your mother and I shared was big news."

He replies with a nod and continues "I'm sorry too for punching you before. It must've hurt."

I smile at his statement. No it did not hurt but I didn't have to tell him that. Without realizing it I rub his head and say "Its no problem at all Lucca. In fact, I'm very proud of you for taking care of your mother. Of course, violence should not be our first response to anything, but I understand why you did it."

Upon hearing my words, Lucca beams with a proud smile and says "So what Mom said is true? Your proud of me?"

"Of course bud." I respond with a reassuring smile.