Chapter 27

Elizabeth ended up liking the bunny that I gave her, but she didn't know that it was me the one who gave it. I wanted her to genuinely enjoy playing with her new toy.

Elizabeth had a small birthday party, but she enjoyed it. She didn't have a lot of friends, only a few.

My husbands were hesitant to throw her a big birthday party for her since she is only an adopted daughter and they might end up embarrassed if the noble families would decide to decline the invitation.

I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, but since Elizabeth enjoyed her birthday, I guess it's alright.

During Elizabeth's birthday party I was a host since it's only natural since the wife represents the household. While my husbands made sure that the party was going smoothly.

The next few days, my husbands asked me to start bonding with Elizabeth. They were persistent that I should spend at least one time a week with Elizabeth. They didn't want to listen to my excuses, so I spent time reading books with her.

She is still hesitant about me, but when we read stories together she warmed up.

I enjoyed spending time with her too. Elizabeth is a sweet child, which is rare to come across since I worked as a part-time babysitter.

My husbands were happy that we can get along nicely, but they still made sure that I'm not abusive towards her or hiding some ill intentions. I didn't care about that, but I understood that they wanted to protect Elizabeth.

In the end, I would have to leave and I don't know how my leave will impact Elizabeth, so I try to be her friend, rather than her mother. I let her call me by my name, and told her it's her choice if she wants to call me her mother.

"Why did Lily lie to the prince that she is a princess? When would he love her anyway?" Elizabeth asked about a character in the story.

"Because she doesn't want to hurt the prince's feelings. When you love someone you are afraid to disappoint your significant other." I answered her. She furrowed her brows and she looked very cute.

What a cute child.

Of course, I noticed that my husbands wanted to test me more and tried to make me show my true colors.

First, I noticed that maids started whispering rude things about me. I brushed off their remarks, but I was confused why they are talking badly about me. I couldn't do anything to them, because they do not belong to me.

They obey my husbands since they work under them.

The next day, I was eating lunch. Next thing I knew a maid fell and spilled tea all over my dress.

It was my favorite dress. It's hard to choose a dress that would look good and at the same time be comfortable in it.

"Next time, be careful. " The only thing I said to that maid and left the dining room. My husbands were confused by my strange outburst. I wanted to cry or lash out at the maid, but I don't like losing control of my emotions in front of others.

My bedroom is the only place I feel comfortable letting my emotions out. It was not worth crying over the dress, since I can always buy a new one.

I always felt a little depressed when my mother died and ruining my favorite dress added to that fuel. I just wanted to lie in bed and let the sadness out.

Later, I didn't know how much time had passed, but it was time for dinner. I changed into another dress and I looked at the mirror. My face looked kinda puffy so I applied cream that had vitamin C and washed the cream off since I didn't like my face to be sticky with the cream.