28 ❀ A wedding ring

Klepto POV

Klepto POV

It's been a long day, and I am ready to crash like the titanic. My sluggish legs barely hold me up as I make my way to the pack office building, the sun still high in the sky. It can't be past 4:30 and I'm already drained of all energy.

Though Beta Thorn hasn't said anything to indicate that my day of chores is punishment, I have the sneaking suspicion that it's in retaliation for what happened to Nathan, even if there isn't any way to prove I had anything to do with it.

Poor Nathan is still bedridden and has yet to show his bruised and battered face, but I hear it's a pretty gruesome sight to see. Not that rumors in my pack ever prove to be completely true, I of all people should know that.

I can't say I feel sorry for him, and it's one of the only things that my lousy mate has done that's actually helpful.

Everything else he touches is a disaster just waiting to happen.

And I'm typically on the receiving end.

Thankfully enough, I haven't seen Ezra at all in the past few days. I am very glad to be away from him, but the mate bond inside of me is not as over the moon as I am.

There is always a little prick in my heart when I think of him, a longing to be beside him that I wish would disappear eventually, but I knew it's a lost cause. I hate him. He's an asshole. Why should I be tethered to him by a magnetic pull? That's not fair.

There is no breaking the bond unless one of use dies. There's no spell, no potion. Even the strongest witches and wizards can't find a way to sever a mate bond, whether it be faeries, or shifters, or vampires.

It's the way the Moon Goddess intended it to be.

I made my way to my attic, taking each step slowly. I just need to crash in bed and sleep for a week, and then I'll be good to go.

When I get to my dusty bedroom, I close the door and slip off my banged up sneakers before collapsing on the bed. As I fell asleep, I drool on my pillow which tends to happen when I'm tired, but I don't mind.

It just feels good to rest after hours of being on my feet, cleaning every inch of the pack buildings.

I know I'm in a dead sleep because I'm woken up by a bang loud enough to send a jolt through my bones. I jump, hearing the springs on my old mattress creak underneath me in protest.

Waiting quietly, I pick up on the sound of someone rushing upstairs and I fly off of the bed. Still being half asleep, I stumble a bit and my eyes burn from the sunlight pouring in from the window. There's no time to adjust.

Before I know it, the door to my room swings open, revealing Beta Thorn. His absolutely sinister face is ugly with disgust and fury. His emotions loud and clear like a bull horn, oh he is definitely mad.