Chapter 37

Don't know who needs this but... hey, no one's forcing you to read this story, okay? Okay. I am so sure there are countless other books that would suit you. You're very much free to exit at this point☺️

Chapter 37 Part 2

Full Circle

It shouldn't have surprised me when Zachary suggested that we go to the mansion straight away.

"I didn't mean as in right now." I said, a bit panicky. I was nervous of going there. And at this point, what was I supposed to expect to find there?

As soon as I agreed, Zachary had whipped out his phone and quickly cancelled all his meetings for the afternoon. I faintly heard the protest from the other side before he ended the call and now was shedding his three-piece suit for a more casual attire.

A hand on the third button of his dress shirt, he flicked me with an indeciferable look. He had planned to go to work this afternoon to check on things. I didn't notice earlier. Apparently, after that scene in the bathroom, he'd quickly decided against it. "I thought you'd want to see the place as soon as possible."

Place. There was a really detached manner in which he spoke about our house and it made me bite my lip. I searched my heart and looked into those blue eyes. "I don't know... everything's just happening so quickly right now. It's like a whirlwind and I... I can't really keep up." I told him honestly.

Zach's fingers continued on the buttons while my gaze followed the movement, looking away from his face. "We could postpone it if you'd rather rest for now."

I kept silent, unable to answer.

My husband immediately caught the indecision. He fully faced me. "I want to clarify something with you. Even before Mara mentioned the house yesterday, I'd already thought of taking you there, in fact I'd asked Susan to put the place in order in case you wanted us to live there again permanently. I'd just been unconsciously postponing it since this place is more convenient to and from the office."

And that convenience had everything to do with my condition. A touch of guilt flared inside me. Skeptical still, I asked, "Is the house far?"

Zach watched me carefully, "an hour and a half drive to the office on a good day."

I shook my head at him, "We can just visit the house. We don't have to stay there."

If I wanted to remember, the mansion we lived in would be the most obvious place to start looking for clues. If I wanted to remember. I swallowed drily. And if I were honest, I dreaded remembering now. But now that I didn't want them back? They decided they wanted to return and were popping back in pieces. And for every new memory, the cost was a bit more of my sanity.

My eyes fell to my arms, to the throbbing angry red marks that stared back at me. I'd calmed down a bit now and I was realizing my actions in full. And it begs the question about the next time a new more messed up memory comes in. What kind of insanity was I going to act upon?

Feeling eyes on me, I looked up. Only to see my husband staring at my arms too. I tried to smile, "You must think I'm crazy now."

The weight of his gaze shifted to my face. Mutely, he took in my swollen eyes. And soon enough, he was walking in my direction. I tensed, sitting on the edge of our bed. Zachary stopped in front of me. Gentle hands picked up my wrists. He stared at the self-inflicted scratches before lifting his eyes to me again. "Everyone's allowed their moments of weakness... but remember it's never a valid reason to hurt yourself, okay?"

The words were spelled out lightly. As he looked down at my wounds, there was only mild concern. It was as if what happened, the words said just moments ago didn't ever exist to him. "This will scar if not treated properly," he murmured.