Chapter 6: Escape

Chapter 6: Escape

Another tidal wave was brewing in my stomach the moment we'd entered the kitchen. The commotion had come from there. Neil, Hanz, and his mother— all willing participants.

With those three people in different corners of the room, Audra stopped me before getting closer. Neil, who was armed with a kitchen knife now, shook his head in fright. "She attacked me!" he said. "Audra, Olivia attacked me!"

"She's my mother!"

Audra and I turned to Hanz. Partway to Neil, partway to his mother, his face was dripping with sweat, his whole body shaking uncontrollably. Gritting his teeth, he pointed to Neil. "I'll kill you!" he said. "Nobody hurts my mother!"

Again, I didn't know entirely what was happening. But Audra, quick to catch on, raised her hand, tried to improve the situation nonetheless. "Calm down," she said. "And tell me what happened from the start."

"No!" Hanz said. "How about I break Neil's neck, and get it over with?!"

"P-please!" I whispered, trying to pitch in too. "Let's all calm down."

That seemed to do the trick. To me, Hanz seemed to recognize that we were all supposed to be allies here. His eyes went to me pleadingly. "But. . ."

"Pax Leighton?" Olivia remarked. From her corner, it was as if she had only awoken when she'd heard my voice. Looking at her, I saw that her right arm was bleeding, a shallow gash cast upon it, no doubt from Neil's knife. Olivia's unexpected smile right then totally creeped me out. "Where's Emily?"

"I-in your room."

At that, Hanz's face slowly turned into a frown again. He must be remembering something unpleasant, something that happened back in the room upstairs. Crap. "You. . ." he said just recalling. "All of you! What the hell are you doing in my house?! You're ruining everything for us!"

"You invited us in!" Neil responded, matching Hanz's tone, which I wished he didn't. "Your mother is psycho!" He continued. "And so are you!"

"We're not!" Hanz hollered.

"Oh darling, we are!"

Olivia attacked so fast that I barely had time keeping up with the situation, much less jumping to Neil's defense. But what was I to do when Olivia pounced and Neil retaliated? Of course, Neil would hit the woman. Of course, the woman would collapse. Of course, Hanz would rage because it was his mother. In just a few steps, he was choking Neil to death. Audra and I rushed to stop him.

"Please!" I said. "Let go!"

"Hanz!" Audra shouted. "I don't want to hurt you!"

"I'll kill him!" Hanz snarled. "I'll kill him!"

I'd never tried to stop a six-foot something guy before, and to be honest it felt like I was going against a wall.

I yelped when he almost hit my face in order to swing a fist to Neil.

"Ack!" Neil sounded pathetic as he tried to slap Hanz away. But my attention was no longer on him, or Audra, who equally looked like she was having a difficult time subduing Hanz. It was on the yard now, in plain sight because of the glass walls, seemingly busier than it had ever been before.

My stomach dipped even lower. "There are people out there!" I yelled. "People in black!"

What timing they had, and how did they know we were even here in the first place? Had they tracked us down? Of course they did.

Looking back at Hanz and others, the three were still at it.

Until a loud crash sounded.

"Shit!" Neil said, as glass shattered and rained on us. I quickly covered my face.