8 Effective Non-Hormonal Birth Control Options You Can Try

It is often a subject of confusion for women while switching between various birth control options or choosing the one that suits them best. What are the best non-hormonal birth control options? Learn more in this chapter!

Types of non-hormonal birth control options

There are many contraception choices available for women today. There are the most popular:

Barrier methods

Barrier methods are the most common type of non-hormonal birth control methods where the sperm are physically prevented from reaching the egg. Many barrier contraceptives can be easily purchased online or over the counter at any local drugstore. There are various types of barrier birth control methods:

Condoms

Condoms are the most popular tyoe of no-hormone birth control method used globally. In addition to preventing unwanted pregnancy, they also protect you against most sexually transmitted infections (STIs). They are effective, easy to use, cheap, and available everywhere.

Condoms are available for males as well as for females.

Male condoms roll onto the penis and prevent the sperm from entering the vagina during sex. These are about 82% effective when used correctly.

Male condoms are available in a variety of materials, textures, colours, and flavours. Typically, the cost of a male condom is comparatively low; sometimes they're even free of charge at state hospitals.

Female condoms fit inside the vagina to act as a barrier for sperm reaching your uterus. Usually, there are manufactured from nitrile or polyurethane. Female condoms are slightly costlier than the male ones.

Spermicide

Spermicide, as the name suggests, is a chemical that kills sperm. It may be available in foam, gel, or cream form.

Spermicide has an efficiency of 70-80% when used alone and hence should be used correctly along with condoms or any other barrier methods. Even some spermicide condoms are also available on the market.

Usually, spermicide does not have any side effects, but some people may experience skin irritation.

The majority of spermicides contain nonoxynol-9 that may change the skin in and around your genitals making you more prone to contract HIV. Thus if you experience skin irritation, itchiness, redness, burning sensation or have concerns about HIV, you must immediately consult your doctor.

Sponge

A contraceptive sponge is a plastic foam that is inserted into the vagina before intercourse. It acts as a barrier between the sperm and the cervix of your uterus.

Sponges are designed for a single used and should be used along with spermicide. These can be inserted into the vagina up to 24 hours before sex.

The most important thing you must follow with the use of the sponge is that it should be removed at least 6 hours after sexual intercourse.

Sponges are about 60-80% effective.

You must refrain from using the sponge if you face allergy to sulfa drugs, polyurethane, or spermicide.

Cervical cap

A cervical cap is a prescription-only non-hormonal birth control method consisting of a silicon plug that can be inserted into the vagina before intercourse. It is reusable, hence it is critical to check it for any holes or cracks before its use.

The efficiency of cervical caps ranges from 60% to 80%.

Diaphragm

A diaphragm is a dome-shaped silicon barrier that is inserted into the vagina before intercourse. It is also reusable, and a keen inspection for the presence of weak points or cracks is mandatory before using it. You can leave it inside the vagina up to 24 hours but keep in mind that it should be removed only after 6 hours of having intercourse.

The diaphragm has an efficiency of 80% and you may use it along with spermicide as a non-hormonal birth control for even better protection against pregnancy.

A diaphragm usually costs up to 90$, and you may want to check if your insurance covers it.

Long-term and permanent options

If you are looking for long-term birth control options, you may go for intrauterine devices (IUD). These are the reversible form of contraception and available as hormonal birth control method as well as the hormone-free birth control method.

The non-hormonal IUD contains copper. A specialized doctor places it inside a woman's uterus. An IUD can be used for up to 10 years. It can also be removed anytime to return you to normal fertility.

Failure risk with IUDs is less than 1%.

Common birth control side effects associated with IUDs include cramps and heavy bleeding, but they may decrease with time.

You may choose surgery (sterilization) as a permanent procedure for birth control without hormones. Depending upon the procedure, the sterilization may or may not require an incision on the abdomen to reach the fallopian tubes.

Sterilization can be performed on a female - called tubal ligation, or on a male - called vasectomy. Most of the methods of female sterilization are effective right away, but there can be a presence of sperm in semen up to 3 months after the vasectomy.

This process is highly effective and has a failure rate of less than 1%.

You should keep in mind that surgery is a permanent birth control option. Have a proper consultation with your doctor (or maybe your HUSBAND??) before signing up for any surgery.

Natural family planning

Another simple hormone-free birth control method is the natural family planning or fertility awareness.

You can determine the time of the month when you are potentially fertile (ovulation days) and avoid having sex during this time. This fertility period is usually about 6-8 days in a cycle.
If you are well aware of your body, you may also track your ovulation days. Fertile days are the days during which the egg is released from the ovary and can be fertilized by the sperm. Some of the ways to determine if a woman is ovulating are:

- Tracking your menstrual cycle. Ovulation takes place approximately 2 weeks before the next menstrual period.

- Measuring BBT. Before ovulation, the basal body temperature falls and spikes after ovulation.

- Examining your cervical mucus. The quantity and texture of cervical mucus change during ovulation.
(The easiest way for me to tell if I'm fertile is: the stickier and stretchier the mucus, the more fertile.)

Natural family planning involves working "with" your body rather than "against" it. The success rate of this hormone-free birth control method is about 75% and depends upon the couple's experience and effectivity in period tracking.

This method is effective only if a woman can closely monitor her cycle.

Advantages of non-hormonal birth control methods

You may switch to birth control without hormones if you:

- don't require an ongoing birth control or don't have sexual intercourse very frequently

- suffer from side effects of birth control pills

- changed your health insurance and the new policy doesn't cover hormonal methods.

- Most of the non-hormonal birth control methods are inexpensive.

- Some options are easily and locally available and do not require a prescription.

Disadvantages of non-hormonal birth control methods

- Most of these methods (except IUDs) require consistent use to prevent pregnancy.

- The failure rates of non-hormonal contraceptive methods except IUDs is higher as compared to hormonal birth control options.

- Many of the methods cannot be used during menstruation.

- Many women may find placing or leaving birth control devices in their vagina uncomfortable.

**I've had so many friends that have had the IUDs and the Implants and they've almost died due to something going wrong with them so, consider those at your own risk. I wouldn't trust it.
this has to be the absolute longest chapter I've written for this book. (1256) words.