Hosea Matthews: Meet, Love, Lose

Young Hosea Matthews (Late 20s)  X Young Female Reader

Summary: The story of how you met, loved, and lost Hosea Matthews

Word Count: 3930

You spent most of your days robbing and lying to make a living and you spent all of your nights back home caring for your sick father. You consider yourself a rather good thief and con-woman, nothing special but you very rarely got caught. Once the rare occasions when you got caught you would wait it out before returning home. You and your father lived lived in a small house surrounded by farmland, nobody came looking for a criminal there.

-----

The first time you met the man named Hosea Matthews, it was due to a job gone wrong. Turns out that you were both trying to rob the same man. He was just passing through town, didn't know the land well enough to give the law any idea of where you would disappear to even if he caught you trying to steal from him. Plus you could tell that he was wealthy because of the way he was dressed and the cocky smirk on his face and the 'I'm-so-fucking-special' attitude he displayed made you pretty certain that he was carrying a large amount of money on him. The perfect target, and apparently Hosea Matthews had thought the exact same thing.

You had been following the man without him even noticing, but had noticed another man following your target. The man was probably near the same age as you, you would guess that he was somewhere in his late twenties. He was rather slender but you had a feeling that he was pretty toned under his shirt and coat, and he was pretty tall. He didn't wear a hat to cover his light hair, which was neatly combed. All in all, he was incredibly handsome. In fact, you only just realised that you had been staring at him instead of watching your target.

You shook your head and returned your attention to the target, seeing him disappearing behind a building. You hummed before walking around the building the opposite way, planning to bump into him. As you turned the corner around the building you bumped into somebody, but it wasn't who you thought it would be.

Whoever was turning the corner was in a hurry. You gasped at the sudden collision, preparing yourself to fall to the ground. You felt two strong hands grab your biceps and steadying you on your feet. "I'm so sorry, Miss, I didn't see you" the man apologised. You looked up to see who had nearly knocked you to the ground and completely forgot how to speak when you saw that it was the attractive man from earlier.

"N-No, don't worry about it. It's my fault, I wasn't looking where I was going" you smiled up at him, curious about him because he was looking down at you with genuine concern in his eyes. He cleared his throat as he released your arms and stepped back from you.

"No, it's my fault. Are you alright?" he asked, looking you up and down but it wasn't in a way that make you uncomfortable. He was really concerned about whether he hurt you.

"Yes, I'm fine" you assured him. The man opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by your target and a lawman rounding the other corner of the building.

Your target pointed at the man in front of you and the lawman broke into a sprint. "Sorry" the handsome man flashed you a sincere smile before running past you, you stepped out of the way of the lawman who was chasing after him. The thief was younger than the lawman and a lot faster, he was on his horse and out of town before the lawman even had a chance of catching him. You smiled to yourself and laughed softly as you walked away, heading over to your own horse.

You clutched the coin purse in your hand before tucking it away into your pocket. The coin purse that the thief had stolen from your target and that you had stole from him when he was apologising, you actually felt a little guilty for it but he seemed like a capable robber and you were pretty sure that he would make money elsewhere.