07. when two became three

C H A P T E R  7

❛ when two became three. ❜

 ❜

QUINN

     HER EYES SCANNED THE SHOP AROUND HER. Most of the shelves were empty. A thick layer of dust had gathered on the long forgotten items. Almost all of the food had been taken and what was left was either rotten or eaten by vermin.

A frustrated sigh left her lips as she looked around the shop one last time before stepping outside, not bothering to close the door behind her. Walking up to the corner of the street she met up with Michonne, who didn't seem like she had found anything useful either, judging by the scowl on her face. Though, Quinn couldn't really remember a time where her companion didn't wear that scowl.

For weeks now they'd walked around the woods, slipping in and out of small towns to scavenge for food, water, clothes or anything else that could be of use to them. One thing Quinn learned quickly from her new companion was that almost everything could be of use, you just had to know how. Their plan was still to make for the coast but they were moving pretty slow. The highways were filled with traffic jams and herds. Corpses were around every corner, filling up every little town. She hated the slow pace they were moving at but they really didn't have another choice. It was either slow, or dead.

'Found anything?' Quinn asked when she reached her, despite already knowing the answer.

Michonne simply shook her head before pulling at the chains that held the two dead ones and carried them along as she started walking down the street.

Quinn followed, her eyes scanning the surrounding streets for any possible dangers. It slightly scared her how fast she'd become used to the presence of the sword-wielding woman and her chained up corpses. The first few days she'd been pretty nervous and didn't sleep much, afraid of things she couldn't quite describe. But after a week or so, she realised she'd come to rely on the woman. They had developed a pattern and complemented each other perfectly. Michonne was the brawn and Quinn was brains. Michonne made sure they were safe and Quinn made sure they had food and a route to follow. Not once had she come to regret her decision to stay with this woman.