C H A P T E R 4

Chapter 4

The cab stopped at the hospital. I paid the driver and made my way towards the doctor's office. He told me to come directly to his office.

I knocked on the door and he asked me to come in.

"Good afternoon, doctor Mike."

"Afternoon, Nicky."

"You asked me to come urgently, what's the matter?" He gestured me to sit and I did.

"Nicole I just wanted to let you know we are trying out best for your dad, we are trying to stabilize him so his cancer won't get to the next stage, that is stage 3 but". He hesitated to continue.

"But what?" I asked,my voice now shaking."

"Just yesterday, after doing a few reports, I realized that cancer has gotten to the next stage. "

Just hearing those words was enough to make me want to faint but I decided against it.

"How much time does he have left," I said sounding broken.

"No, no, Nichole. He hasn't gotten to the last stage yet so we can still carry out the operation. Your dad can still live for as long as he's supposed to." He said smiling sadly at me.

I did feel relieved but just until he said the next thing he did.

"Although, there is something we need to worry about and that's the fact that it doesn't take as long as it takes to stage 3 from 2 in 3 to 4, that is, in just few weeks or months, on some cases, it could be days before he will be in the fourth stage. " He looked at me a little and continued

"Dear , I know you've been trying alot for your father's chemotherapy, but you have to double all of your efforts this time. God bless you, dear." He said all of that and all I could do is nod .

I made my way towards dad's ward and opened the door a little. He's sleeping.

I wiped off my tears and and sat beside him. I caressed his hair.

"Dad, I'd do anything for you. This time, I'd stop at nothing to get your treatment done with."

"But, you won't kill for me, will you now, nicky." He replied jokingly.

So he's not sleeping.

"Dad!" I exclaimed and hugged him tightly and planted kisses on each of his cheeks. "

My dad is the most important person in my life. He means the world to me. He took care of me all by himself ever since mum left us.

I felt myself flinch at the word 'mum'. She's not my mum , just the woman who gave me birth. That's all she will ever be in my life.

I love my dad so much.

"Hey, princess, stop crying . I missed you too. I'm not dead, relax." Only my dad can joke in such a situation.

" Dad!" I hit him a little and hugged him even tighter.

" Hey, you are choking me."

I quickly let go of him and he laughed out loud and I choked on a sob.

"Hey, stop crying. These tears are very precious to me. Don't waste them on me."

He wiped my tears and continued.

"Listen, I'm okay and my treatment will get done, ok? I'll be absolutely fine, you know why?

I shook my head and he smiled and said, " I will be fine because you, my princess, is here to take care of me. I'll be fine, baby".

I nodded and he kissed my forehead and wiped my tears.

I checked my watch and the time says its 12: 30.

Oh shit! Xander won't give me permission to go next time.

"Err, dad, I've to go. My new job.... my boss has a meeting at 1pm. I gotta go."

He pouted and nodded. "Ok, but don't work yourself so much that you become boring like claire." He said chuckling. I smiled at that.

Claire and dad's relationship is a very special one. Sometimes, I feel as though she's my elder sister and we have same parents.

Whereas sometimes, they always find opportunities to insult each other, though playfully.

He calls her 'a boring ass and she in turn calls him an 'old ass'.

They always joke around and tease each other alot. If not for the age gap, I sure as hell know that they will make a great couple.

" Atleast get a boyfriend and make me a grandpa soon."

"C'mon dad, I have to go ,see you soon." I replied kissing his cheek and made my way towards the entrance.

"Ok, love you." He shouted behind me as I closed the door.

"Love you too." I replied but I'm not so sure he heard me.

*************
I hurriedly made my way towards xander's office. I was about to turn the knob when he opened the door.

Shit!

"You ....."

"Sir, I'm sorry , so, sorry sir. Please don't terminate my appointment. I'm really sorry for being late ." I blabbered out aloud clearly interrupting whatever he was about to say.

He looked at me a little and shut his eyes like he's trying to calm down and released a sigh afterwards.

"Let's go." He said and continued walking towards the elevator.

He's not even shouting. That's.... quite a feeling.

We settled in his car and the driver drove off.

"We've arrived sir." The driver announced making me look up.

'ANDERSONS ' was boldly written written in italics with a crown like stuff beside it.

He got out of the car and I followed suite.

"Your job is to take note of what we discuss in there. When each company presents their plans, you write their names and summarize what their plan is about. Is that clear?" He asked and I nodded.

He raised his eyebrows and I quickly responded 'yes ,sir.'

Only God knows how people manage to get through to this man. He doesn't talk much. Only give orders ,that's it.

Just two days ago, I tried to make a joke while we were on our way to a meeting . He just ignored me. No response. No laughter.

I just blushed and looked anywhere but his .

We got out of the elevator and made our way towards the room tagged 'conference room.' He held the knob of the door and then faced me.

"Don't forget all the things I told you to do and don't act friendly with anyone as well. Be professional, okay?" I nodded and he glared at me and I quickly replied.

He opened the door , got in and I followed suite.

" Ha, look who graced us with his presence, the one and only Xander Reynolds."A slightly older man said, more like mocked mr Xander and I felt him stiffen beside me.

Here goes nothing.

__________
❤❤❤
Edited by macattack2001
24-03-2019.