Chapter Ten: Forced Fear

When we got to Gloria's Bar which was already bustling with people for the start of happy hour. With all of these people though, there was no Gloria. She was gone. 

"How convenient, that my witch should disappear right as I needed her to check up on the status of a troublesome doppelganger." Klaus hissed to me as we went towards the warehouse. "I don't know why I didn't see it before, Stefan is hiding something, and you are hiding something? The common person there would be miss Elena Gilbert." 

He knew, at this point, there was no denying it. "Klaus please, please I swear-" 

"What? That you have been lying to me for a full week?" Klaus whirled to glare at me, stalking forward until my back was pressed against a wall. 

I looked at the ground, a tear escaped my eye. "I just wanted to protect her. She's my sister, I couldn't- I couldn't just let her die." I looked up and stared at Klaus, who appeared to hesitate at my confession. If there was one thing I learned about Klaus, it was that he loved his family, despite his odd habit of leaving them in coffins. 

Klaus respected those who took care of their family. 

Angrily he punched the wall behind me, causing a terrified yelp to leave my mouth. "I am going to ask you now, how much Vervain did you have last night?" 

"Only a few milliliters," I answered truthfully. There was a snarl, a sharp pain in my neck, then Klaus drank from me until I lost consciousness. 

When I woke up, we were back in the SUV, and it was moving. "Where are we going?" I asked in confusion as I stared out the window. 

"Mystic Falls," Klaus answered me. He sat next to me with Rebekah on my other side. Stefan was nowhere to be found. 

I groaned reached for my throbbing neck. It was odd, Klaus usually heals me. "Where's Stefan?" 

"That traitor is spending some quality time sleeping with the rest of my family members. Now that you're awake, we can talk." I looked over to Klaus in confusion but paused in fear when I saw his pupils contract. "Is Elena Gilbert alive?" I tried to fight it, my head was pounding as I cried. "Europa!" I looked back up at Klaus, who did it again. "Is Elena Gilbert alive?" 

Finally, I nodded my head, tears leaving my eyes. "Yes." 

"How?" 

This one was easier, the big secret wasn't how she was alive, just that she was alive. "There was a linking spell used when Elena died, she would come back to life, but to do that, John gave up his own life. So, when Elena woke up, John died." 

Klaus leaned back in his seat and nodded. "Clever. Do you know where the talisman is?" He asked me. 

The pain came back with a fury. Rebekah would kill Elena if she didn't get that necklace back, but I also couldn't exactly resist being compelled. The unfortunate truth is that as strong minded as I am, resisting compulsion is difficult and painful. I didn't have the practice or will to do it. "Yes," I cried softly. 

"Where is it?" 

"Stefan gave it to my sister as a gift." I whimpered. 

Klaus chuckled lightly. "So it all comes back to the Doppelganger. Here's what I want you to do, you will stay by me until after I find a way to make my Hybrids, then you will be my spy on Elena, you will not tell her this is what you are doing, and you will call me with updates about everything. Put your necklace on, you will forget you told me any of this until I tell you otherwise." 

So I put my necklace on, then I forgot, just like he said I would. 

When we arrived in Mystic Falls again, it was daytime. Of course, Klaus spent the first few hours of our arrival planning, scheming. He was quite diabolical. We sat in the back of the truck all day, Klaus would pace while Rebekah learned from me all that I knew about the social hierarchy here. Every hour or so, Stefan would wake, Klaus would snap his neck, the conversation would pause for a moment before quickly resuming.