[ CHAPTER THIRTY ]

1114, Italy

Astrid was starting to become increasingly fond of Rome, the sun was always shining, and the gardens were beautiful

Surrounded by the most exotic of flowers, fruits and herbs, the strong scents that tickled her nose were more than enough to win her over.

She wanted to stay in Rome a little longer, though Astrid knew it was a pointless hope. Nik didn't like staying in one place for too long, ever since France they were constantly on the run, even when Mikael wasn't on their heels.

Suppressing a sigh at the thought, Astrid's fingers reached down to brush against the powder blue fabric of her silk gown that Nik had recently gifted her with.

Silk imported from Byzantium was scarce and costly, but Nik spared no expense when it came to his wife.

Nimble fingers moved away from the soft material as she reached forward to grasp her goblet, sending the maiden who filled it a small smile.

The table before her was filled with many dishes, a true feast that could have fed the entire village, never mind four vampires and one human.

It had been her husband's clever and deviant idea to host Alexander, "to host his sisters betrothed", though Nik's ploy was evidently to discover more about the brotherhood.

Though Astrid suspected it wasn't because he was concerned, but more so he could stop Elijah from complaining and moaning about Niklaus not finding out more and underestimating the brotherhood.

Sat across from her, beaming and looking as beautiful as the marble statues that were stationed around the gardens, Rebekah held Alexander's hand as her gaze carefully moved over her brothers.

While Elijah sat beside her on Astrid's right, Niklaus was sat at the head of the table to her left, his hand resting possessively on her arm as she placed her goblet back on the table.

Without any unease, Alexander grinned as he leaned back, his muscular arm reaching back to stretch around Rebekah's shoulders.

The timid maiden quickly refilled Alexander's goblet, making him chuckle deeply.

Raising a brow at this, Rebekah turned questioningly to her betrothed, confused on what had amused him so deeply.

Nodding towards the table and the maiden filling his goblet with the finest of wine Italy had to offer, Alexander smiled.

"I am unaccustomed to such luxury."

Elijah was momentarily silent as he eyed the hunter up. "Well, it's the least we could do to repay you for opening our eyes to the truth. We're curious to hear more about your order. Your crusade."

Proudly, Alexander straightened up. "We are but five men. Bound by fire in the last breath of a dying witch to a single cause; the destruction of all vampires."

Frowning, Astrid's gaze flickered to Niklaus, curious to how he would react. She was not surprised to see Niklaus looking amused as he leaned forward, elbows resting on the table.

"And how do you hope to achieve this?" Niklaus questioned, his tone low as he fought off the smug smirk that threatened to rise.

Beside Alexander, Rebekah had grown uncomfortable, her posture evidently tense as she reached forward to grasp her goblet. Noticing this, Alexander's gaze flickered over to her.

After taking a couple of gulps of red wine, Rebekah seemed much calmer, though Alexander's gaze never left her.

Sending him a nervous smile, Alexander returned it before he returned his attention to Niklaus, who was sitting arrogantly at the head of the table.

"We have the ultimate weapon which no vampire can survive."

...

"You are not worried?" Astrid murmured quietly, fingers dancing teasingly across Niklaus' bare chest as they laid naked within the cotton sheets. Rome was far too hot for the likes of furs, especially during the summer.

Snorting, Niklaus glanced down at Astrid, wrapping a brown bouncy curl around his finger as he chuckled.

"Of them? Please, they are nothing but sheep and shepherds, but I am much more than the average wolf."

Astrid frowned, unnerved by what Alexander had told her.

"Yes, I suppose so." She murmured.

Niklaus frowned, gaze darkening as he let go of her hair, watching in satisfaction as the curl sprang back into shape. "You are worried?"

"A little. For Rebekah. She sleeps in the same bed as that man, what if he-" Astrid's concerns were cut off by Niklaus pressing his lips to hers before he pulled away.

Smirking, Nik ran his finger along the outline of her lips. "You worry too much, love. I won't let anything happen to you, always and forever." He whispered, making her smile.

Relaxing back against his chest, Astrid sighed, eyes fluttering tiredly as she murmured back to him. "Always and forever."

With a soft sigh falling from her lips, Astrid allowed sleep to consume her. Her dreams were fairly peaceful, till an abrupt stabbing pain awakened her, a gasp falling from her lips as her eyes blinked open.

Alexander stood above the bed, smirking. Astrid's eyes fluttered close as a loud, throaty growl filled the air.

Klaus.