Chapter Eighteen

They made plans to go out the following Friday, which gave Lawson enough time to mentally prepare himself, and provided him with plenty of opportunities to harass Sean, who refused to tell him where they were going. They still spent a lot of time at the library studying, working on both calculus and Sean's paper writing skills, but- and this was completely Lawson's fault- their conversation happened to stray more than usual, due to his endless curiosity. All he wanted was a hint, just a little piece of information to help him make a guess as to where they were going, but every time he asked Sean gave him a secretive little smile that Lawson wanted to kiss off his face. He never did.

There was one time though, when Lawson asked what to wear, when Sean gave him a kind of hint. "Wear sweatpants or jeans or something because it will probably be cold". Unsurprisingly, that didn't help him much, so when he got dressed on Friday, he put on a pair of jeans and a hoodie, and still had no idea where they were going.

Lawson let Sean drive, which the other boy seemed happy about, and their fingers stayed linked the entire way, hands resting on the top of Sean's jean-clad thigh.

"Are you going to tell me where we're going?" Lawson asked, turning the volume of the techno music down in the car. Sean shot him a look out of the corner of his eye, and then his head shook.

"Wasn't the point of me driving to keep this whole surprise thing going longer?" He asked, and Lawson frowned, because the point of having Sean drive was so Lawson could look at him and not have the two of them die.

"Ah, right," Lawson mumbled, and Sean's fingers squeezed his.

"We're almost there," Sean assured.

The rest of their ride was done in comfortable silence, their hands still tightly grasped and Lawson's lip sucked between his teeth, biting down in anticipation.

Six or so minutes later, Sean pulled into a parking lot with one other car in it and shut off the car. The building was unfamiliar to Lawson, and he leaned forward to look through the window at the sign about the door. "We're going... ice skating?"

"Yes," Sean confirmed, and then he paused and turned towards Lawson. "Is that okay? I promise I'll get you food afterwards-"

"Sean, it's perfect," Lawson assured, grinning. "I mean, I'm going to embarrass myself like crazy, but I'd like to learn, and I'm guessing that you'll be a pretty good teacher. Just... don't laugh when I bust my shit".

"You'll be fine. Come on," Sean urged, pulling his hand away so he could climb out of the car. Lawson scrambled out as well, not nearly as graceful, and joined Sean at the front of the car, taking his hand again.

Sean handled everything, since Lawson was kind of out of his element. He checked them in, rented them skates, and even tied Lawson's when he failed to do so twice. "You must think I'm helpless".

"I think you're cute," Was Sean's response as he finished tying the laces. His hands lingered on Lawson's calf for a moment, and he just looked up at him. "You know, I'm actually really nervous right now".

"You are?" Lawson asked, surprised because he wasn't. That is, he wasn't until Sean's confession, which stirred something in side his stomach because oh my god, he's already not having a good time. "Uh... why? Am I that scary?"

Sean laughed. "No, not scary. That's not it at all. It's just... I haven't gone on a first date until I was a sophomore in high school," he admitted. "I guess I don't remember what's expected".

Without pause, Lawson reached over and cupped Sean's face, one of his thumbs brushing over Sean's cheek bones. "If I'm being perfectly honest, this is my first first date ever, so I don't have any expectations". Sean's eyes closed, eyelashes fluttering, and then he was standing, catching Lawson's hand as it fell and also pulling him to his feet. "This feels weird," he said, looking down at the black skates.