Chapter Twenty One

This is not what I expected of my honeymoon. I purse my lips under the shades of my huge wicket hat. We're not even standing under the sun, but somehow, I needed the protection of the hat against the blazes that come off the tarmac. I stand next to where the limousine is parked, waiting for the paperwork and preparation to get done, so I can climb the stairs like a little princess, maybe post a selfie or two for my Instagram. At least, that's what's expected of women in my position. But I hate nothing more than to stand around being treated like something fragile.

I know from the night Mary broke the news about our surprise and unexpected honeymoon "gift" that it wouldn't take long before we are sent on our way. True enough, the next thing I knew, Mary and Mom are helping me packing my suitcase, choosing every revealing piece of a swimming suit, bikini, sundress I have and shoved it into my two suitcases, which are currently next to me.

I have not talked to Ethan since Saturday night when he dropped by. Of course, they shoved us into one room, but I ended up sleeping on the bed and him on the little sofa. Once in a while, I would wake up in the middle of the night, looking over at his asleep and calm features. He looks quite deceivingly innocent when he's sleeping.

"Everything seems like ready, Ma'am." Our driver nods at me as he approaches. I see a golf cart coming to our way. The blazes of the sun making a blurry image of it as it approaches. The cart stops before me, and Ethan is not in it.

Two men start loading up the baggage into the cart and I help myself to an empty seat facing away from the front. Shortly after the cart starts and I watch as the image of the tall building gets smaller. The control tower, however, is standing very tall.

I remember the look Angelic gave me as she hugged me goodbye. Even though I did not tell her what exactly went down between the two of us, she is much smarter that she must have read between the lines. She hugged me and looked at me. Without saying anything, she was asking me if everything will be ok. She was giving me her support. And I appreciate it. But at that point, I don't think there was anything neither of us could do to save me.

I look over my shoulder and watch as the image of the huge jet gets closer. Thank God for these designer sunglasses, or else, I would be blind right now for the glows coming off the shiny surface of the jet.

And then, there he is. Standing in his tailored suit is Ethan. He too is wearing his sunglasses, but it's something about the sunglasses, suit, and that hair that makes me sigh inside. He never seizes to cause rebellion in my inners. I purse my lips again as I turn around.

I might not have talked to him to know how angry he is about this trip, but his action sure doesn't fall behind his feelings. The whole ride to here, he was as far away as possible in his seat. One might think I have a plague or something. It hurts to think this is the same man who held me up at night and gave me the night of pleasure I have always dreamt about.

The cart stops with a jolt. I get off as soon as possible. Ethan stops halfway to me when he sees me making my way to the stairs. It's better I do everything myself faster than having him so "graciously" offered me his help just for the sake of image.

"Oh, thank God," I mutter once I'm in the aircraft. One more second out there and I was going to melt.

"Hi, welcome, Mrs. Kingstone." A pretty brunette with the name tag reading Rachel. She seems to be somewhere over thirty. I open my mouth to object that I'm not Mrs. Kingstone when I realize my mistake.

I've got to get used to it.

"My name is Rachel Jones and I am your flight attendant. Welcome, aboard Ma'am. We have prepared everything for you. And congratulations on your wedding," she babbles. I look around the cabin. Gosh, this place is huge.