16

Run Boy, Run

"So... I just gotta go into this place and pretend to be your dear-old-dad, correct?"

Winnie and Five began walking out; the former with more pep in her step and the latter tugging her closer subconsciously.

"Yeah. Something like that." Five replied tiredly.

"Ok but whats our cover story?" Klaus questioned, sashaying out behind them.

"What?" Winnie asked.

"What are you talking about?" Five added. He glanced at Winnie but she mirrored his confused look.

The unfortunate affects of constantly being on the same page, is that neither party ever really expected other factors. Like, per se, a Junkies dramatics.

"I mean was I really young when I had you? Like- 16? Like, young and terribly misguided?"

Winnie nodded enthusiastically, "Thats a great idea! We hadn't thought of that!"

Five closed his eyes.

He loved her. He loved her. He loved her. He loved her. He loved her. He loved her.

This was a simple fact in his life.
He dearly loved Winnie, and nothing could dispute that.

Which is why he chanted that particular mantra in his head to overcome the utter defeat he felt when Winnie actually agreed with Klaus.

"Please don't encourage him." Five sighed.

"You're mother, that SLUT!" Klaus continued undeterred, "Whoever she was, we met at...."

"The disco!" Winnie filled in quickly. Her smile almost splitting her face.

"The disco!" Klaus cheered.

"The disco?" Five turned toward his blonde counterpart, who shrugged innocently.

"I love the disco. Big hair and lots of sparkles."

"Why am I not surprised?"

"Watch it mister, you owe me proper outing once we save the world. I might want to go to the disco."

"You would go anywhere with me regardless." Five scoffed without missing a beat.

Winnie hesitated, having no actual comeback to the blatant truth.

"You win this round, handsome."

"Awe. Young love. I remember that- with your mother and her dancing ways." Klaus interrupted the bickering couple.

"My mother too?" Winnie asked. She tilted her head a little at Klaus's inclusion.

Klaus and Five immediately shook their heads. That did not feel right. It wouldn't even look right. Not with Winnie, at least.

It was a rather simple explanation as to why that dynamic wouldn't be a believable act- but you would have to see the full picture first;

Winnie was raised with the rest of them and had the same traumatic scars they all carried. However, she carried hers in a much different way.

Instead of building up mental defenses for future abuse (Like emotional detachment as most of the family favors), she did the opposite. Winnie loved harder.

She hugged and kissed and complimented. Where the others would shy away with their broken selves, Winnie sought them out with adoration and affection.

And for a family like the Hargreeves that already toed the line of crazy, that initial difference was the reason for a large part of the families strange dynamics.