Chapter Eight

It was One thirty the last time I checked the clock. I was so nervous. My hands were shaking. I couldn't really control my breathing. What if my dad knew? It was like I said to mike before. If he knows it wasn't the worst thing in the world.

I had to stay strong for mike.

If he knew i was a nervous wreck, he would be nervous and that's not what he needs right now.

I sat on my bed and wrung my hands together. I took a couple deep breaths and got up.

I smoothed my dress down (pictured up above).

I looked at myself in the mirror. My wavy brown hair was getting frizzy, i grabbed some hairspray and sprayed it down. i put the can down and looked at myself in the mirror:

"It will be okay. It will all be okay." I said my voice wavering, uncertain.

I checked the clock again and I tapped my foot anxiously.

I left Mike's room a couple hours ago. I was so bored. I didn't know what to do with myself.

Just when i thought i was gonna die from boredom, there was a knock on the door.

I walked over too it, "Thank god." I said as I opened the door. There was Max just standing there. She came bounding in my room. "I have some tea to spill. Like major tea." The redhead said.

Max couldn't sit still, she tried sitting down on my bed but then she got up and then she sat down again.

I closed the door behind her. I walked over to her and grabbed her shoulders forcing her to be still. Even though Max was taller than me it was worth a shot to get her to calm down.

"Max. Chill. Deep breaths. In..." the redhead breathed in. "...and out..." i said. She breathed out.

"Better. Now spill." I said. The redhead took another deep breath. "So you know how your dad just sent me a ticket and flew me down here randomly. So I found out why and..." Max took another deep breath.

"Your dad is planning something with you and mike. I heard him on the phone earlier and he said something about You and Mike having a lot of opportunities or something like that. I don't know exactly what he meant. But what he said next really just...wow...like wow..." Max said her eyes going wide.

"Keep going..." I said warily. Afraid of what I was about to hear.

Max took a couple more deep breaths. "Your dad said that he sent me down here for an engagement."

That's when my stomach dropped to the floor.

An engagement? What? This made no sense.

"Engagement? Are you sure you heard him right?" I asked. The redhead nodded her head rapidly. "These were his exact words, 'Yes. I have Max here. It's gonna be the perfect time to announce this engagement. She won't be thrilled but it's what has to be done. Mike? He won't be a problem. There just friends'. Or something like that."

I took a deep breath and sat on the end of my bed.

This wasn't happening. This is all just a dream. I will wake up in Mike's arms and everything will be okay.

It felt like my world was falling apart before it even started.

Is this what my dad wanted to talk about? I was so confused.

I don't even know how to feel right now.

"El? You okay sweetie? You haven't spoken for a couple minutes." Max said. I couldn't form words at that exact moment. I just shook my head.