1 ~ Fingers Crossed

~1~

~

The weather near New York was warm compared to it's usual temperatures in February. It was well-past midnight, but the lights were still on in a van parked next to a road somewhere close to Pittsfield. The doors were wide open, and a deafening noise sounded from the inside.

"Son can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes."
Two girls, one kneeling down, the other reaching out to her friend, were screaming their lungs out. One of them let out a loud snort before continuing. That was me.

"But it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete."
My friend's red curls moved up and down as she passionately held her hands to her chest, waiting for me to return the text. But I panicked.

"I don't know the lyrics!"
I laughed loudly, blonde strands of hair sticking to my face. That earned me a slap.

We both got up, dancing around and laughing while the chorus neared.
"Sing us a song you're the piano man! Sing us a song tonight"

She kept going until I bumped my hip into the kitchen table. A yelp left my mouth, and we stopped. I laughed.

"Turn the music down, Emily!"
Emily did as she was told, before rushing back to me. I was now sitting on the ground with my hand on the forming bruise.

"Well, so much for drunken dancing."
I chuckled, lifting my shirt to see the skin turning red. Fair enough, I thought, before grabbing Emma's hand and letting myself be pulled up.

"You okay?"

I nodded curtly before moving to grab another beer.

I had turned 24 just a few minutes ago and my best friend had decided we should celebrate it. We had only known each other for two years, but ever since I had left my hometown in England things had changed for the better. Besides, of course, the fact that the big new country had an influence on my usually flawless accent.

"So, what now?"
I slumped down on the couch, Emily following short after me.

"Well, we've got Queen, One Direction, Eminem... Oh, Justin Timberlake!"
The redhead excitedly scrolled through her Spotify, but I snatched her phone from her hands before she could choose a song.

"Em, I meant what do we do now, not the music. We've been at this for the past hour."
I motioned to the empty bottles on the table. I didn't feel that drunk, but I knew the alcohol made me believe that.

"Oh! Well, I don't know. You feelin' rebellious?"
A grin formed on my friends' face, the couple of beers not yet kicking in for her either.