five.

CHAPTER FIVE,
helicopter boy

   THE WARMTH OF the sun baked against Samantha's face as shadows casted across the roof of the RV

THE WARMTH OF the sun baked against Samantha's face as shadows casted across the roof of the RV. Her fingers were absentmindedly running up and down the tribal like tattoos that scattered up and down her arm like a canvas. She sat next to Dale, who gazed beyond the horizon with binoculars held over his face.

"Careful, we don't wanna ruin those all powerful eyes." She teased him, grinning up at him warmly through the sun's glare.

Dale looked at her and laughed. "Now that's mean," He stated, placing himself at the armchair next to her, his smile nothing but grandfatherly towards her.

"You think you can find Nate with those things?" She inquired. Nathan and Amy were off God knows where, but she was happy that it was her and not someone else. She liked Amy, and she was glad that Nathan had someone else to calm him down when he needed it.

"No, but," His soft eyes twinkled with an all knowing amusement. "I'm sure Amy has it handled." Dale thought it was sweet at how close the two were, and being like a father to the Harrison sisters, he made it obviously that approved of Nathan. "Young love," A sigh of bliss left his lips. "What a miracle to find it in such a world of rot."

Silence took over Samantha as she thought about his words. She had been very young and in love once, but it wasn't as sweet and as gentle as Amy and Nathan's. Hers was like a battlefield, every step a risk of stepping on a trap and being exploded into a million pieces. He didn't help her piece them back together, instead he scattered them.

Dale took notice of her silence, frowning. He saw painful things behind her eyes. "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." He continued, and she finally looked back at him.

"Who said that?"

"Dalai Lama." He answered with a proud expression, tipping his fishermen's cap at her.

"Never heard of him."

Dale chortled, switching back to his routine of keeping watch over the camp. She wondered if he ever felt the heavy weight of knowing that he looked away for one second, he can miss a possible threat looming their way. She knew Shane felt the weight.

Samantha glanced at her brother, who was helping Carl tie knots with rope. He had taught her the same thing when she was his age, and she smiled through the guilt that consumed her. She had put him through so much hardships when she as a teenager, and after everything, he still put up with her.