Chapter Forty One

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Forty One

M E A N I N G F U L M I S T A K E S Chapter Forty One

Hours passed before my dad drove me back home. School had finished roughly an hour ago, and I had only shortly responded to William's messages.

The time dad and I spent together was desperately needed. There was so much we had to talk about, and I had to admit things that mom had taught me when he wasn't always around.

His heart nearly snapped in two learning about them. At one point he muttered that he wish he knew so he could've stopped it. It was abuse- he said.

"Are you sure you don't want to come in?" I ask my dad once more through the open window of his car. "You know Will, he'll whip up a storm of food."

Sadly, bribing my dad with food was not the easiest thing. He chuckles and pushes his sunglasses over his eyes. "Maybe next time. I've got to catch up on a lot of work."

I sigh. "Alright. I'll see you later." I step on the sidewalk as he starts to turns the wheel.

"Call me if you need anything, Lola." He says before the window slowly slides back up. He drives away yet somehow it feels like his nickname for me rings in the air.

Everyone seems to call me anything but Lolita. Lollipops, Lols, Lol, Lola- I get everything.

I spin on my feet and walk inside the building, taking the stairs to our floor considering I am deeply regretting the pizza I had. I still feel the cheese and sauces swirling inside me.

I want to pull out my own hair once I reach my apartment, twisting the handle and discovering it's unlocked.

"William, I've told you a thousand times, you need to lock the door." I loudly say while entering the apartment, closing and locking the door behind me.

"Sorry!" He calls from the living room as I dump my school bag on the kitchen island and make my way to where he is.

He and Chuck both share one of the sofas, and Hunter is sitting on the other. "Hey guys." I flop down on the couch beside the brown haired boy.

"What happened with your dad?" He asks the same moment William attempts to. Hunter rests an arm behind me so that it is draped over the back of the couch.

"We found mom." These three words make William grow stiff and lean forward- edging for more information.

"Did you get in contact with her?" My best friend asks slowly.

I shake my head. "She ran across the country to Kenyards because she was having an affair. It's why she left- because she felt as if she was living a life she didn't want with dad and I. She died of a drug overdose last Friday."

Hunter places his hand over mine, curling fingers around gently. "I'm so sorry." Chuck is the first to whisper an apology that I don't need.

"It's okay. She already left me once." I continue to wait for the pained kick in my chest that flares emotions, but it still hasn't come.