71 ~ Don't You Understand?

The two boys reached the end of the tunnel and heard snarling and growling, the sound of claws on wood echoing around the building and they immediately transformed into their animagus forms. When Peter and Sirius climbed the stairs they saw Moony practically jumping off the walls as he tried to get to Snape who was crouching under the stairs. Prongs was stood blocking the doorway and Eloise's cat had changed to a large wolf who was stood protectively in front of Snape. As Padfoot and Wormtail approached, Puff sent the dog a nasty look as she tried to herd Snape into the trapdoor. Moony was getting violent, swiping his claws at the tall Prongs who was still determinedly blocking the door. Eloise, noticing this, turned into something much larger and a large bear stood in front of Prongs, protecting him from Moony's claws. The stag let out a humph of protest and Padfoot yelped as Moony swiped at Puff. Snape had taken the opportunity to escape and had sprinted down the tunnel. Padfoot growled and readied himself before taking a running leap into the room with the rampaging werewolf. The large dog snarled at the creature as they circled each other, sizing each other up. Padfoot made the first move, jumping up and attaching his claws to Moony's neck, biting down on his ear only to be thrown off in an instant. Padfoot got back up, leaping and landing on Moony's back as he scratched at his fur, earning a loud yowl. The werewolf turned its head back, grabbing the dog's paw and throwing it back against the wall as the sound of a whimper filled the room. The bear in the door let out a roar and bounded over, standing on her hind legs and baring her teeth at the wolf. Moony seemed tired as he looked at the bear, lowering his head and backing away, not up to another fight.

The bear transformed into a small, white rabbit, immediately going over to the shaking Padfoot and nudging his body with her nose. He turned over and Puff bent down, inspecting the wounds. There were deep bite marks in his right leg and there was blood trickling from his head. After licking Padfoot's cheek, Puff bounded over to Prongs. The stag lay on his side, three claw marks on his side, oozing blood. She placed her forehead on his and his big, black eyes blinked open, checking the white rabbit for any wounds, closing his eyes again once he knew she was unharmed.

~~~

Morning finally came, the sunlight seeping through the slits in the boarded windows to reveal that the Shrieking Shack was completely empty. Severus Snape, having escaped the rabid werewolf, ran to alert the headmaster who ventured into the shack with Professor McGonagall, levitating the sleeping and injured students to the Hospital Wing. Remus Lupin was the first to wake, his brown eyes fluttering open as he hissed in pain at his many injuries. Although, due to the fact that his scratches and bites had been from Padfoot, his wounds had been healed, unlike those of Sirius and James. The boy's eyes widened as he noticed the sleeping Sirius, his wounds visible as he slept over the covers. He had a swollen thigh with teeth marks in his skin and a large gash was visible on his forehead. Remus winced and he turned to his other side to see James wrapped in bandages, blood soaking the one by his ribs. Remus' eyes glossed over with tears and he sat up, ignoring the pain in his joints as he walked to the bed to the other side of Sirius, sitting down next to Eloise's sleeping figure. He sighed in relief when she appeared unscathed and he bit his lip as he clutched her hand.

Movement came from next to Remus as Eloise woke up, yawning and blinking rapidly as she shielded her eyes from the sun,

"Rem?" she asked and her eyes widened, "REM?! Oh my Merlin are you alright?" she threw her arms around her best friend, "I'm so sorry if I hurt you but I saw Sirius and James and I got so scared and-"

"Puff." he interrupted her with a weak voice and pulled away, looking into her worried face, "I'm fine, I wasn't scratched or bitten by myself, my wounds healed." he told her and she sighed in relief, although the worry returned when she turned and saw Sirius. She leapt up and ran to his side, running a hand through his hair and gasping when she saw his leg,

"Oh, Sirius." her voice cracked as she pressed a kiss to his cheek, stirring him. He woke and as soon as he saw Eloise's frown his brow furrowed. He put a palm to her cheek,

"Lou, are you okay? Are you hurt?" he asked, scanning her body and trying to sit up but wincing and looking down at his thigh, "Fucking hell." he muttered, looking up at a guilty Remus, "Moony, it's fine-"

"No it isn't, Pads." Remus whispered, "Look at your leg."

"It's my fault, if I hadn't told Snivellus to go down there, this would've never happened." he told Remus. The scarred boy suddenly looked up from the ground, his sad expression being replaced with one of anger,

"You're telling me..." he began, his eyes narrowing, "That you told Snape to go into the shack, knowing full well that I was in there?" he asked and Sirius gulped,

"Moony...Listen-"

"Are you fucking kidding me, Sirius? I could've killed him!" he shouted, waking up James,

"Wha-"

"And now he knows that I'm a werewolf! Don't you understand, Black?" Remus' face was dangerous but it faltered slightly as Sirius flinched at the use of his last name, "Sirius..." Remus began, his tone calm but anger still prevalent, "You risked outing me, for a prank?" he asked and Sirius nodded slowly, his expression downcast. Remus went to leave but Sirius called out to him. He tried to get up but shouted out in pain as his leg started bleeding again,

"Moony!" at his call, Remus turned around to see Eloise pushing Sirius back down while holding a cloth to his leg, "Moony, please." he whispered and Remus sighed, slowly walking back over, "I'm an idiot, I know, I'm so sorry. I almost revealed your secret and it was foolish and irresponsible and I put you, Severus and the others in danger." he turned to Eloise who was unharmed but still shaken, "I will regret it forever, but I can't do without you talking to me." he turned to James who had sat up slightly, groaning and clutching his side. Eloise rushed over, getting a sponge and laying it on his forehead. Sirius turned back to Remus, "How can I make it up to you, I'll do anything." he pleaded, his eyes wide and sorrowful. Remus' eyes remained narrowed,

"Want to know how you can make it up to me?" he asked, and Sirius nodded,

"Turn. Back. Time."