8. The Desert Mama

08 // The Desert Mama.

I stayed at Lydia's house last night.

She didn't want to be alone, and I couldn't blame her. She told me what happened yesterday while Liam and I were baking flapping cookies.

I couldn't feel more guilty.

Everybody was trapped inside the school with a deadly virus, while a sub teacher tried to kill Stiles. Not to mention Kira, Scott and Malia had to lock themselves in a vault.

Of course, Lydia had taken the PSATs in her Freshman year.

She had gone to her grandmother's lake house again. She had all Meredith's belongings, she told me how she felt so bad that she couldn't help. I never knew Meredith, but I knew that Lydia felt like it was her responsibility to look out for her, and now she's dead.

But then she noticed something weird. There was a photo of Meredith in that same room Lydia was standing in. As baffled as she was, she had to get to the school to help everyone. She was certain someone was going to die in that school.

Long story short, it was some evil guy who tried to kill Stiles.

I couldn't sleep last night myself, even though Lydia was sleeping soundly beside me. I just felt so bad, there Liam and I were baking - well burning - cookies, and everyone else's lives were in danger. Not to mention the almost-kiss with Liam. Was he actually going to kiss me? There was probably just something on my face, right?

And he was going to get it off with his face? Seriously Wren?

Lydia spent most last night teaching me the basics of Witchcraft. How crazy is that? I showed her my mum's book Liam and I found, turns out the spells in there are pretty useful.

Even though everything's all so crazy, I can now light a candle without a match, And I can change the weather if I want to. It drains most of my energy, but now I can use it to help, even if it's just a little, and I'm going to do everything I can to save the ones I love.

-

"Scott? I got your message, what do you need to talk about?" I yelled out as I entered the McCall residence.

"Oh hey Wren. Look, uh, you should probably sit down," Stiles placed his hands on my shoulders and steered me to the couch in the living room.

"What's going on?" I asked as I looked up to the faces of Scott, Kira, Stiles and Liam, once sat on the comfy sofa.

"There's something we have to tell you, and you're most likely not going to like it," Stiles said, as if saying that clears anything up.

"What -- that doesn't explain anything! Seriously, you guys are starting to scare me," I grumble, an uncomfortable silence following my statement.

"Look, Wren. You know there have been like, a whole bunch of crazy assassins killing people in Beacon, right? Well, they're not just random killing sprees. They follow a list, and they kill for money," Scott said, and I thought back to what Violet and Garett said about me being worth so much or something.

"There's a dead-pool, Wren, and we're all on it."

My breath hitched in my throat as a million questions swarmed in my brain. "W-what do you mean? We're all on it? What would they want from a bunch of teenagers? I'm barely sixteen!"

"There's someone who wants Beacon Hills completely rid of the supernatural -- he calls himself the Benefactor," Scott justifies and something clicked in my head.

"I-I've heard that name somewhere before."

Scott and everyone all stared at me weirdly, waiting for me to continue.

"S-something's telling me that I've met this guy, a-and I think we all have." I answered, racking my brain for any sort of clue as to who The Benefactor is.

"Well, then. Do your little Witchy Voodoo thing and figure out who it is!" Stiles' eyes were popping out of his head as he waved his hands around dramatically.

"It's not that simple, stupid. I'm sure it'll come to me. So is this list the only thing you wanted to talk to me about?" There had to be more.

"No, not exactly," Scott said and I gestured for him to go on. "You're in danger, Wren. We all are, but you, you're worth the second highest amount of money. A lot of people are going to want to kill you."

I grimaced, "who's the first?"

"Me," Scott answered, looking down. He didn't meet my eye for the rest of the time I was there.

"But Wren, we need you to find out what you're capable of, to know why you're worth that much. While we track down the Benefactor," Scott spoke lightly, looking anywhere but at me, and I thought about it. A painful idea popped into my head.

"I guess I could talk to my dad."

-

Armed with a bag of Chinese takeout, carefully tiptoed into my father's pitch black office building. I was so paranoid everywhere I went now, and even more so after Scott told me what I was worth.

"Dad?" I called out. Searching for any source of light. I had 911 already dialled onto my keypad, just in case. You can never be too careful nowadays.

"In here!" His voice called out, and I saw a tiny bit of light coming from his glass office. I pushed open the door to find him hunched over a pile of papers. He was a mess, his tie loosened messily and his sleeves rolled up. Not to mention his hair looked like he was in a coma for ten years.

"Uh, I brought food," I raised the bag in my hand awkwardly.

"You are seriously a lifesaver, Wren," dad said greedily, as he wheeled his chair out from under the desk. I took a seat in the chair opposite him, as I unpacked the food onto the table. I'm not going to lie, my stomach was grumbling, and I couldn't wait to dig in, but I had to remain focused on my mission.

For a while we ate in silence, savouring the deliciousness, but then dad spoke up. "So, did you need something? Because as much as I love the food, it's not like you to just come down here. You hate my office."

I looked down, fidgeting my my fingers. "Dad?" He hummed in response. "What do you know about Witchcraft?"

He sighed, "alright. I guess you're old enough to have this talk," my dad finally said after a few painful moments of silence, as if he had been having an argument with himself in his head.

What talk?

"It wasn't your mother nor I who caused you to possess these crazy powers, which I'm sure you must have some idea of by now. But an old woman called Freya. You remember the lady who gave you your little drawing book? She was a close friend of your mother's. Of course, I'm completely human, no traces of the supernatural in me, but your mother, she was something quite special.

"The call her The Desert Wolf."

-

I'm sorry this is so incredibly short :( don't kill me! But I felt like if I didn't post this I'll forget to update in this century.

Weak attempt of being funny.

Anyways, Wren finally knows about the dead pool ! And she found out her mama's true identity ;)

P.S I changed my username.. What do you think? I'm pretty Poseytive about it hehhehehe