08. the cafeteria

C H A P T E R  8

❛ the cafeteria. ❜

 ❜

MILO

     WITH AN ANGRY SCREAM TOMAS THREW his plate across the cafeteria. The little bit of food that had been left on it flew through the air and landed on the ground. The plate clattered on the floor with a loud noise that made Milo wince.

'What a waste,' Oscar mumbled, making Milo smile despite the situation.

'Ten months!' Tomas screamed, his voice bouncing through the small space.

'Sshh!' Big Tiny whispered, pointing at the door. They all knew too much noise would draw the dead people closer but lately their fellow inmate didn't seem to care much.

'Let them come!' Tomas shouted, kicking at one of the chairs, sending yet another object flying across the room.

A tired sigh escaped Milo's lips. He was frustrated at being locked in this small space as well and with five other men around him all the time the situation became even more exhausting. He missed the sunlight, privacy and a decent bed. But that didn't mean he screamed or threw stuff across the room to get rid of his frustration. Tomas, however, liked to burst into a rage fit every now and then. Milo only let him because he'd claimed the only gun they had, or else he would've stepped up and knocked him out a long time ago. Instead he sat at a table in the corner with Axel, Big Tiny and Oscar as they played a card game. They'd been lucky Axel happened to have a set of cards in his pockets or else each day would have been an even bigger torture.

They had enough food to last them months and it seemed like the water supplies hadn't been cut off because the tap still worked fine. They wouldn't die of starvation or dehydration any time soon. No, Milo was convinced he'd sooner die of boredom. Being locked in a cafeteria with nothing to do whatsoever was a one hell of a sad way to die and so he tried to keep some sort of routine to stay sane. The most important thing on his daily schedule was exercise. If he were ever to get out of here he had to be able to walk more than a few miles before being completely out of breath.