CC7 - Part 24

“I think I found it”, I said and made the spontaneous decision to go with my gut when I discovered the song…

I knew I would never be able to beat the show Camila had just given. Her vocals were insane and I wasn’t trying to outdo her by any means. That would be pointless. I picked an easy song and a rather cute one. If we had been by ourselves, I would have chosen something more romantic probably but I was a little afraid of my teammates catching on to us.

Since Camila was still outside, I went to the stage and got everything ready. My heart was racing when I saw how crowded the karaoke bar actually was. All the expectant eyes now focused on me; I gulped heavily while taking the microphone. It was then that I saw my girlfriend taking her seat and grinning in surprise to see me on the small stage. She clapped encouragingly and it eased my tension a little.

“Here goes nothing”, I mumbled barely audible and heard the music starting.

[Semisonic – Secret Smile]

It was such an old song that I doubted many people knew it but I loved it. Of course, I thought about the brown-eyed girl staring at me when choosing that particular piece of music. On Valentine’s Day, I had told her about my fascination with her smile and this seemed fitting. She would hopefully understand that I was dedicating it to her, without me having to expose us. It was personal after all. I exchanged a quick glance with Camila and she seemed to realize it. Being the huge music lover that she was, she apparently knew the song right off the bat and showed off that perfect smile when our eyes met briefly.

“Nobody knows it but you've got a secret smile
And you use it only for me
Nobody knows it but you've got a secret smile
And you use it only for me

So use it and prove it
Remove this whirling sadness
I'm losing, I'm bluesing
But you can save me from madness”

After the first hurdle of genuinely singing in front of strangers, I loosened up a bit and the crowd seemed to like it as well. My plan was a success because it wasn’t a song to belt or sing your heart out to; it was fun but meaningful to me still. The hardest part was not constantly looking at Camila. I did it a few times but made a conscious effort to look at the other girls on the team too.

“Nobody knows it but you've got a secret smile
And you use it only for me
Nobody knows it but you've got a secret smile
And you use it only for me

So save me I'm waiting
I'm needing, hear me pleading
And soothe me, improve me
I'm grieving, I'm barely believing now, now

When you are flying around and around the world
And I'm lying alonely
I know there's something sacred and free reserved
And received by me only”

Sometimes I truly felt that there was this very special smile that Camila only used when we were alone. All of her smiles were special, but it was the one reaching her eyes that made my heart flutter uncontrollably.

I ended up getting a good amount of applause and quickly left the stage to rejoin the other soccer players. They all clapped while Dinah smirked knowingly. My focus was on Camila though as I sat down next to her, finding that special smile gracing her lips. It made my heart leap in my chest and I was well-aware she desperately wanted to kiss me. I wanted to do the same but that wasn’t an option now.

Instead, her hand grabbed mine under the table while the others debated who should go next. I seized the moment and leaned in to whisper into Camila’s ear.

“Is everything ok?” I asked because she had been talking to Austin and I wanted to make sure nothing bad had happened.

“Yeah, everything’s ok”, Camila assured and also leaned in, her warm breath grazing my earlobe and causing goose bumps. I stroked the back of her hand with my thumb tenderly. If she said nothing was wrong then I had to believe her since I didn’t want any jealousy coming between us. “You were really good up there”, she added and I shook my head.