Chapter 37

Her elbows were resting on the shiny, spotless countertop. Her chin was propped up, nestled between her knuckles. Her mind was elsewhere, everywhere. And by everywhere, she meant that particular nanosecond it took for a kiss to happened. It was so swift, light and so quick, she didn't even know it was happening until it was over.

Jisoo released another sigh. Her many for the night. Long, dragging, somewhat sounding irritable but short from the usual sharp huff at the tail of it. Never had she ever been in a situation where logic failed her. It was frustrating.

She could hear all the sound around her. The clinking of the glass bottles and shot glasses. The chatters and laughters. The high giggles from the girls being teased by the boys they were with. The sound of the instruments harmonizing with one another. The sound of Chaeyoung's rich velvety voice singing:

Confession
I've got my own questions
About how we make each other make
Bad decisions
But there's some kind of precision
In both our thinking
I know when I'm faking
And this ain't like it
I'm saying what you're saying

Every sound she could hear was muffled. It was like she was enclosed in a huge plastic bubble. In fact, if she hadn't known exactly what was happening around her, she might have just settled with the idea that there was a colony of bee flying and buzzing around her, swarming inside her plastic bubble.

She was pulled away from that loop of nanosecond event inside her head when she heard a rather loud banging in front of her. Solid against solid. Jisoo jumped a little on her seat when Chahee, the bartender who was still obviously resenting Jisoo's presence judging by the look on her face, slammed the tall glass of bluish with a tinge of pink cocktail, in front of her.

"T-thanks," Jisoo said weakly. She didn't mean to stutter. But there was something intimidating with the way the bartender's eyes were piercing on her. So, she asked, "What?"

"I don't know what's happening but I should let you know that I still don't trust you," Chahee said. Her arms were stretched in front of her, hands resting on the edge of the cold countertop, supporting the weight of her body. "But Chaeng told me to attend to you while you're here, so here's your drink. Let me know if you need anything."

Jisoo heard Chahee loud and clear. But out of all the words that the bartender had said, Jisoo had only caught two words and it had sent her already-haywired brain into another level of panic.

"Chaeng? Happened?" Jisoo blinked, like those two words were a taboo, pulling her away from her own reverie. She shook her head absent-mindedly and said, "No! Nothing happened between me and Chaeng. I swear!"

Chahee eyes squinted and directed rather unabashed straight through Jisoo's eyes.

"Where did you and Chaeng go? And why is she tipsy when the two of you came back earlier?" the pretty bartender asked. Her long, silky hair was tied in high ponytail, the ends of it cascaded on her spine. She looked like a Korean chick sidekicking another chick from some badass movie.

"We had dinner. She drank all the wine. I tried to stop her," Jisoo explained, although she didn't know exactly why she need to do that. Not at Chahee, most especially.

"And?" Chahee was coaxing her.

"And...then...nothing," Jisoo replied slowly, curving her tone a little on the end before she took a long sip of her cocktail, making her sound and looked unsure that nothing had happened that it only made Chahee looked more suspicious.

"Why are you here?" Chahee asked rather rudely, although she didn't mean it to sound that way.

And Jisoo took no offense. Because she was also wondering that, herself, and had been asking the same question to herself for quite sometime now.