Chapter 47

Between the mounds of medical appointments, nursery decoration and dreary pregnancy moments, the weeks flew by quicker than Emery anticipated

Granted she had the finance and support of her loved ones to push her through such a stressful period in her life, ever so often, the urge to call him would breeze in, and she would find herself toying with the idea of reaching out to him.

At this point, she was not holding back from getting him involved in their life out of spite-but out of fear.

A fear that stemmed from her selfdom and prohibited her from putting herself out there in the light of criticism, and rejection.

There was no way he would believe he fathered this child when he thought she cheated on him.

And knowing his temper, what if he gets upset for being deprived of his fatherly rights and ask for custody? Which he would definitely win with his riches and shrewd ways.

The whirlwind of thoughts would roll in and for endless time, she would ponder on how this could go downhill and she would end up losing everything including her sanity.

So whenever she arrives at that conclusion, she would get cold feet and set the phone down.

It was a balmy summer afternoon and as part of her maternity break plans, she was stretched out on the fluffy rug in her living room, watching a rerun of beyond the lights with a bowl of fruit salad to keep her company.

"It was perfect, right? What we had?"

"We started on a lie. It could never be perfect."

"Story of my life..." Emery mumbled to herself as the lines from the protagonists played back at her.

She paused the movie when her phone rang with a call from her brother.

"Hey biggie."

Emery swore at him. "call me that again and I will throw my flops through the phone."

Laughter tolled from the other end of the line and she could practically see her brother rolling his eyes at the threat.

"How are you guys doing?"

She shrugged as if he could see her. "she is getting impatient each day to see this foul world but we're hanging in there. What's up with you? You good?"

"Yeah, all good... let me guess, your lazy ass is still in bed?"

"First of all, my ass ain't lazy and this is called leisure time for carrying an overly active human for almost nine months, mister..."

"Alright, mama I get it. No need to blow my ears off."

Emery chuckled. "You had it coming… what's up with you?"