Chapter 9: Trust

Hyejin sat on the floor next to the table flipping through the astrology book San had put there before. She was only skimming through the pages, not really paying attention to what the words actually said. 

She had been with San for a little over a week now, but for her, it felt like years. Over the course of a few days, he had gradually started letting her come out of the cellar and upstairs for bathing and fresh air, but her few unsuccessful attempts at escaping had lead her right back to where she sat now. 

He had also moved a small wooden cot with a blanket and a pillow for her to sleep on instead of the hard cold floor. Although she wanted nothing but her freedom, she had slept on it, hoping that by obeying and gaining his trust, she would come closer to her escape. 

A soft knock on the door startled Hyejin and she jumped to her feet, almost dropping the book. San stepped in holding a cup with an unknown substance inside. He came up to her and handed it to her.

"Here, it's lemon tea." Hyejin looked at him for a moment, motionless. Reluctantly, she took the tea, holding it in her hands and watching as San took a step back. "Do you like lemon?" He asked. She nodded. San smiled and put his hands behind his back. "I bought it from an older woman here in the village that sells different herbs and teas and spices." Hyejin stayed quiet, holding the cup between her two hands. "Try it." He said. Hesitantly, she brought the cup up to her lips, letting the warm taste of lemon flood her mouth. 

He raised his eyebrows, expecting a reaction from her. "Do you like it?" She wanted to spit it out and throw the cup at him, but instead, she said, "Yes, it's good." It's not that it tasted bad, it's just the fact that it was San who gave it to her. His expression was soft and he paused, thinking of what to say next. 

"Would you like to go out for a walk? Outside? I want to show you something." Hyejin was surprised. Outside? Completely outside?  This was her chance to escape. It's like he was just handing her her freedom. He saw her expression and chuckled.

"I trust that you wouldn't try anything. So, if you won't, come with me." He held his hand out to her, waiting for her to take his hand. This might be my only chance. Reluctantly, she placed her hand in his, letting him lead her to the door. He opened it and they made their way down the dark hallway to the steps. 

Bright light flooded the pitch-black hallway as San opened the door. Hyejin had to shield her eyes with her free hand because she was having a hard time adjusting to the harsh sunlight that threatened to blind her. The air smelled sweet like fresh pears and lavender, a weird combination, but a pleasant one to say the least. Hyejin followed San through a smaller hallway out into the living room. There was almost no furniture except for a small low table and a chest with a book that sat under an open window. A soft breeze blew through the house and the sound of young children laughing outside filled the room. 

Hyejin followed San out onto the porch where they stood for a second. Her heart raced and adrenaline filled her veins. She was ready to make a run for it. She shifted her foot, ready to go when she stopped herself. She hadn't realized until now just how tight he gripped her hand. No, you have to wait for the right time. Wait until he's distracted. Make him trust you enough to let go.

Hyejin moved so she stood closer to San, her shoulder almost brushing his. He glanced at her, trying to hide a smile that tugged on the corners of his lips. "Come on," he said. He let go of her hand. For a second, she was relieved, but then he wrapped his arm around her waist, making it even more difficult to escape. 

They began walking down the stone path and on to the wide old dirt road. Small children chased each other around a pear tree while older people watched them from their porches. Some were sipping on tea and telling the kids to slow down so they wouldn't fall, but of course, the children were not listening.