Chapter 5

"I am going to America tomorrow."

He had said in seriousness but also with disappointment.

"Is everything okay? What did Dr Khan say?"

"He wants me to return for a few days. For check-ups and tests."

"That's fine. I will go with you."

He looked away and then looked up at her again. She was smiling to assure him but he wasn't as strong as her.

"I will go alone, Rudaba."

"Wait, why? I can come, we will be back in a few days anyway."

"Exactly, its only a matter of few days so you don't have to come. Warna shadi ki tiyari kon karega?"

"Yeh abhi zaroori nai hai. I will be worried for you, please take me as well."

She looked straight in his eyes with tears forming. There was pain and there was worry that came with fear. He could never do well with her tears but this time he had to refuse to her. There was no other option. It was important that she stayed here and didn't come with him.

He took her hand in his and pulled her closer.

"Mein tumhe nahi le ke ja sakta, Rudaba. Mere mein itni himmat nai hai ke treatment karwate hue tumhe wahan deikhun. I can't see you concerned and that's all you will do there. I know, and I can't be this cruel."

"Shahroze..."

"Bharosa rakho. Mein hamesha rahunga tumhare sath. Be it America or here, mein hun."

He pulled her in and hugged her tight and that's when her sobs turned into cries. What was it that was making him and her so scared and worried. They didn't know. She wanted to stay in his arms forever. He didn't want to leave. He caressed her hair and kissed her forehead.

"Rudaba, please stop crying. I won't be able to leave like this. Please..."

"Darr lag raha hai." She said as she cried some more.

"Kyun darr lag raha hai? Don't you trust me?"

She didn't reply but kept on crying. Her tears were breaking his heart and he didn't know how to give rest to her pain. So, now he didn't say anything either. Just allowed her to continue to cry if she wanted to. He had no idea leaving for a few days would be so difficult for him. Leaving her for a few days would be so difficult. What was life playing at, he had no clue? But he wasn't ready. He wasn't willing either. All he wanted to do was stay with her and never leave her alone. But that too was slipping away from his grip.

-------------

The next morning

It was seven in the morning and he was just finishing his last bit of packing when Rudaba knocked on his room door and walked in taking calculated steps.

"Good morning!"

He had greeted her with a smile on his face which was far from honest, he was covering up the pain and temptation he feels of leaving her behind.

"Packing hogai?"

"Haan hogai."

"Wapis kab aoge?"

"I will try to be as quick as I can. Baki tum dua karo ke mein jaldi ajaoun."

"Meine tu kal se hi dua shuru kardi thi."

He closed his eyes in regret and zipped his bag and turned to her. Without wasting any more time, he rushed closer to her and hugged her. But didn't say anything. After a good few moments, they pulled apart when Rudaba came close again and darted towards his lips. They looked pale. But nevertheless, she wanted to do it. So, she moved closer again. He had guessed it and tried to stop her by placing his hands on her waist, but all went in vain. The next moment she fused her lips with his. It was a gentle peck. It was fragile, and it was very delicate. The moment was fragile but held a great meaning. For them, it did.