24 You Can't Really Leave But Don't Feel Like A Prisoner

Iris~~

A drove of Society members enters the dining room ahead of me. I say a drove because there's some order. They are all being driven by the call of food, of socialization. How am I ever supposed to find Erik and Jonas? Jonas—it still feels wrong calling the Preeminence that.

I rub my bandage, chanting in my head that it's not suspicious. Gwen sent by a maid with a full box of clothes. She even thought to include underwear. Unless Jonas reminded her, which would be . . . unfortunate if I plan to look at him again. Not giving me any underwear though would seem like the next step after spilling wine on me.

However, the longest sleeves that any of the shirts and dresses have come to only my elbows. I wipe my hands on my skirt—Gwen's skirt. I don't know how willing she was in this exchange.

"Iris." Standing by the doors is Jonas, and I maneuver across the crowd to him as gracefully as I can manage.

"I see you found the dining room on your own."

I cross my arms across my stomach, shielding my left one with my right. "It wasn't that hard. I was here for dinner."

"I swear for the first couple of days after we moved here, people were getting lost." He leans down toward my ear, and I feel myself stiffen, his body hovering over mine. "I'm not entirely sure we've found them all." The mirth in his eyes lets me know he's joking, and I allow myself to laugh.

"Are you trying to make me think less of Society members?"

He smiles. "I would never." He offers his arm like his brother did last night. "You don't have to take it, but I think you'll have a lot easier time getting through that crowd."

"Prove it." I place my hand on his arm, and he steps forward. Straightaway Society members create a bubble of space between them and us. "Impressive," I mutter.

His smile widens. "I know."

With Jonas as my personal Society repellant, I'm guided through the dining room. Breakfast has already been set out on every table. Platters of waffles, pancakes, French toast, eggs, and too many pastries to name almost shimmer from their toppings of powdered sugar and syrup and the platters they're set on. There are quiches. Rolls. Fruits. A feast for breakfast.

"Is it always like this?"

He nods.

I'm in Heaven.

I spot Erik toward the end of a table for which we seem to be headed. He doesn't look up as we approach. Across from him are Gwen and Colton. She gives me a dismissive glance and returns to her food. Jonas pulls out the seat next to Erik for me that's at the end of the table. While no one is in the chair on Erik's other side there is a plate filled with food. Jonas takes the seat at the head of the table and begins making his plate.

Erik pushes his eggs and cut-up pastry around his plate, his back hunched over the table. Last night he showed me my room. He didn't talk much after Colton left me with him.

"Is there anything I can possibly do?" I asked him while he traced a knot in the dresser.

"No."

"Erik—"

"I feel like I lost. Fate caught up to me like I always knew it would."

I stepped next to him and watched his finger circling the knot. "Then let's leave, right now."

"You can, but I can't. They have me."