Chapter 12

Your thoughts were swirling around in your head like a whirlpool of frustration as you swam under the dozens of first time surfers. 

You were being reckless, swimming so close to shore, but you didn't pay any attention since you were too overwhelmed with everything else. 

You almost didn't see the hotel surf instructor, his body floating limp in the water, being pulled away from shore by a rip tide.

Your eyes snapped to fix on the man, instinct overtaking you like it had done with Taehyung. You darted over to him, your tail pushing you forward faster and faster until you had reached him. 

You hooked your arm around his body and pulled him with you, swimming as fast as you could towards a part of the shore you thought would be the safest.

You pushed him up onto the sand in front of you, quickly jumping into action. 

Within seconds of you starting CPR the man had spit out a mouthful of water, gasping to get his breath back. You quickly started backing into the sea, turning around and diving under the tide as fast as you could manage. 

The adrenaline was still coursing through your veins, you instinctively started swimming home instead of to the shop. Deciding to call in sick instead of trying to explain to your boss why you looked so shell-shocked after a simple delivery.

Once you had reached your home you had typed a quick message to her, telling her you were too sick to come back in today, before collapsing into the sofa and promptly passing out.

You awoke sometime later, opening your eyes to complete darkness. You sat up and felt around the couch area, looking for your bag. Once you found it you pulled out your phone and switched it on.

12 missed messages

4 missed calls

Most of the messages were from Jimin, a couple from your mother asking how you were. None of them from your souvenir shop boss, which didn't surprise you since the woman barely knew how to use a phone.

But there was one from an unknown number, you tapped the screen to open the message.

[11:27] Y/N? It's Namjoon, I got your number from Jimin. I was wondering if you knew what was up with Taehyung? He's been upset since he came back to the room after he went out to talk to you. Thanks.

You let out a sigh, the memories of earlier today flooding back to you like a tidal wave. 

You felt guilty. You didn't want him to feel hurt but you couldn't let him get too close to your secret either.

As you were replying to the other messages something suddenly hit you. 

You gasped, letting your phone fall into your lap.

That man I saved, I didn't feel anything. I didn't feel a connection. 

What could that mean? How come you connected with Taehyung and not the surfer?

At this point you had all but forgotten about the pit-in-your-stomach feelings you kept getting at the presence and absence of Taehyung. Mostly because the other emotions you were feeling were distracting you. But there was no denying the fact it was there. 

You leaned back onto the couch, pushing your phone off your lap and bringing your legs up so your arms could wrap around your knees.

You stayed like that for the next hour, when the sun started to rise. The orange rays of the sun pouring into the living room and forcing you out of your half sleepy half confused trance.