prelude

Fall in your ways, so you can crumble
Fall in your ways, so you can sleep at night
Fall in your ways, so you can wake up and rise
| Solange - Rise

Fall in your ways, so you can crumbleFall in your ways, so you can sleep at nightFall in your ways, so you can wake up and rise| Solange - Rise

Remi clutched the big red envelope against her body, trying her best to hide it underneath of the denim jean jacket she was wearing as she approached her house

Remi clutched the big red envelope against her body, trying her best to hide it underneath of the denim jean jacket she was wearing as she approached her house. The moment the screen door swung open and Remi pushed her way inside of the home, the aroma of food cooking and laundry being done filled her nostrils. It may have been an odd combination, but to Remi it smelled delightful. It reminded her that she was finally home.

"Hey Rem," her little sister, Crystal, smiled up at her as she colored on plain sheet of printing paper.

"Hey my Crystal baby," Remi pecked her little sister's forehead, moving to head over to the stairs and run up to her room.

"What's that?" Crystal called out, pointing to the bright red folder that was now starting to slip out of Remi's grip.

"Yeah Remi, what's that?" her mother, Kimberly, questioned with a raised eyebrow as she walked out of the kitchen, her hand on her hip.

Remi shifted it around her body a bit so it was hidden, continuing to move towards the stairs, "My math folder."

Kimberly squinted her eyes at Remi before nodding, "Mhm. Dinner will be done soon and Samuel will be home shortly. Make sure you get yourself cleaned up and get your homework done before so, Rem."

Remi just nodded, waiting for her mother to fully walk away so she could go up the stairs. As soon as her mother turned on her heels to head back towards the kitchen, she bolted up the stairs and towards her room. She tossed her jean jacket across her room and picked up the red envelope that had the big white 'R' sprawled across the front.

"Okay," she began to pace back and forth, "This is it, just calm down Rem."

She could feel the paper beginning to get a bit soaked due to how wet her hands were feeling. Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey was the only college she applied to because it was the only one she wanted to go to. It also may have been because her guidance counselor only gave her one application fee waiver, so she didn't have any other choices because she couldn't afford to apply to them.