thirty

Harry's POV

I was curled into a ball when I woke up, my knees to my chest and my hands clinging to the duvet around me. My breath was stale and a slight ache had settled in my temples, thumping in time with the sound of my slowly steadying heartbeat.

I tried to ignore the sting that hit me when I looked over my shoulder, the side of my bed that was once occupied by Evie now empty. I could still smell her perfume that had infused itself into my sheets and t-shirt, the sweet aroma of grapefruit and sugar, which was now an intoxicating comfort for me that I could never get enough of.

It was nearly 9am once I had forced myself to get out of bed, clipping my watch around my wrist and checking my phone before heading to the bathroom. The unpaid attention to my appearance was becoming noticeable, my hair too long at the sides and a little oily at the roots, and a fine layer of short stubble coating my upper lip and jawline.

I wasn't really in the mood to care, because it was Sunday morning and way too early and I was still angry about everything that took place last night. I was angry at Geena, I was angry at myself, and most of all, I was angry that I let things get out of hand.

I shook my head to get myself out of this state, the loose ringlets that fell past my ears swaying wildly in the process. Alice stayed at Gemma's last night, and it was customary for me to bring breakfast for the family when I would go to pick her up, because Gemma enjoyed free food and it was the least I could do for her helping me out.

I didn't have time to wash my hair, narrowly avoiding the spray of water near my head to rinse off the lingering scent of alcohol from my body and the dried salt still crusted on my cheeks. I dressed myself quickly, wondering whether my fedora would be a good way to hide my dirty hair, and if my sunglasses would be appropriate to cover the bags under my eyes.

**

"Ugh, finally, I'm starving!" Gemma exclaimed once I showed up to her front door, snatching the brown paper bag from me and hurrying back inside the warmth of her house. I only rolled my eyes at her lack of welcoming, shutting the door behind me then following her into the kitchen. The house was a mess, considering that her boyfriend of 5 years, and fiancé of 1, Elliot, had only been out of town for work for 3 days.

"Gem, this place is a pigsty," I scolded, passing her morning coffee over to her, in which she snatched that up too and took a long and well needed gulp, eyes fluttering shut as the caffeine entered her system.

"Shut up, H, not all of us have got a handle on this single parent business," she muttered, wagging her pointer finger at me.

"Where are the kids anyway?" I inquired, searching around the room, "You haven't lost them already, have you?"

Gemma growled in response, devouring her muffin in a few bites and downing the rest of her coffee like her life depended on it. "Sorry," she mumbled in apology, settling her small hand over her stomach, "Cravings."

Gemma announced the news that she was pregnant a few weeks ago, bringing along a roar of celebrations for all her and Elliot's friends and family. The only person who wasn't ecstatic about the news was their 6 year old son, Oscar, who was currently not speaking to either her or Elliot, too upset by the news of the newest addition to the family.

"Has Oscar come around yet?" I asked, searching through the haphazard cupboards for a plate for my bagel.

Gemma sighed deeply, ruffling her hair and flicking it off her face, "He still hasn't talked to us in a few days, I don't know what to do."

"I could try talking to him?" I suggested.

"Yeah, he likes you," she smiled, walking over to me and hugging me tightly from behind. I squeezed her arms back in retaliation, thankful for the amount of affection she had to give me. She was never short of hugs, each and every one of them able to fix anything that was wrong.