Drive By

Summary: The 5 times Steve and Natasha find themselves taking an unplanned road trip and the 1 time they actually planned it.

ONE

Natasha was absolutely fuming in the driver's seat.  Steve figured it was best to just stay quiet and let her mumble angrily in Russian as they drove through Ukraine.  After their mission (literally) blew up in their faces, they were left 506 kilometres away from their extraction point.  They'd had to walk 13 kilometres to get to the nearest town, bloodied and bruised from the battle that had occurred before the building had been blown to shreds.  Natasha had hotwired a car on the side of the road and they'd been driving in it ever since.

Steve felt slightly responsible for the whole ordeal—which was partially why he kept silent—and had decided that when they explained what happened to Fury, he'd take all the responsibility.  It was the least he could do considering Natasha probably had a broken knee, at least twice as many bruises as he did, and a pretty decent laceration across her forehead, but was still the one who was driving.  Since all the road signs were in Russian and Steve was pretty lost when it came to anything other than English or basic Gaelic, Natasha had to be the one to drive.

"Are you hungry?"  she asked, interrupting his thoughts.  He hadn't even noticed her angry mumblings stop.

"What?"  Steve asked, more as a reaction than an answer.  She glanced at him and he winced at the sight of fresh blood trickling down her cheek.  She must have stretched her face strangely and caused the wound to reopen.  It had stopped bleeding an hour into their walk between the mission site and the nearest town, but clearly it wasn't done yet.

"We're technically still on a mission so everything would be charged to SHIELD,"  Natasha told him, glancing between him and the road as she spoke.  "I know it's practically midnight and nothing would be open, but we could find somewhere to pillage."

"Does SHIELD condone breaking and entering just for the heck of it?"  Steve asked.  Natasha rolled her eyes and parked their stolen car on the side of the road.

"It wouldn't be 'just for the heck of it' if I'm starving,"  she told him.  She unbuckled and opened her car door, glancing down at Steve.  "Besides, I think we deserve something good on this mission."

If Steve was going to try and call her off for breaking into a local restaurant, it was before she turned back around and happily told them they had orange juice and pancakes.  She was walking inside the restaurant seconds later, no alarms announcing her presence, and Steve decided the safest thing was to stick together.  Besides, getting orange juice and syrupy pancakes because staying together meant joining her in a restaurant she'd broken into didn't sound like a bad idea.  (They collectively agreed to not mention it in any official report, though, just in case Fury did make them pay SHIELD back for the money they left behind).

TWO

Steve had never been more thankful he'd stolen something in his life.  After getting Natasha out of the destroyed bunker and escaping the SHIELD search team, he'd managed to find a parked car he could hotwire and drive out.  Unfortunately, the truck he'd grabbed earlier had been destroyed in the bombing, but the white Honda civic he'd found would be better at keeping them on the down low.  Hopefully, this one wouldn't be destroyed and the owner could eventually get it back.

Natasha had been unconscious for the past half hour and he was beginning to get nervous she had more severe head trauma than he'd originally thought.  He was considering stopping at the next hospital to make sure she wasn't going to die before they could get back to Washington when she groaned and reached up towards her head.  He turned to look at her and almost drove off the road.