❥ 3

Ken's POV

"Watcha reading?"
As I was too engrossed reading 'Dear Kafka', I heard a cheerful voice that comes from behind me. I turn around to face the owner of the voice with a pleasant smile.

"It's 'Dear Kafka' by Takatsuki Sen. If you want, I can lend it to you after I'm done reading it."
I hold the book and show the cover to her. Her eyes seem to be gleaming again, a reaction that I'm so overly familiar with.

"Really? Thanks! Takatsuki Sen is that popular author right? I've read some of her works and they're really amazing!"
She says excitedly and the gleam on her eyes continue to shine. I chuckle as I chat with her, finding her face extremely adorable.

Y/N is a very friendly and cheerful girl that it makes me wonder why she doesn't seem to have any friends beside me and Hide.

I do notice sometimes when I'm passing by her class that she seems very quiet, unlike when she's with us. She doesn't seem to be bothered by the treatment she's been given but her eyes often show how lonely she is... It actually reminded me of someone.

"You know, Y/N...Your cheerfulness is very like Hide. The difference between you two is just that Hide doesn't like to read books."
I nonchalantly comment. She looks at me, eyes widen for a second before facing down to the floor.

I was confused by her sudden change of demeanor, afraid that I might've said something I shouldn't have. Just when I was about to ask her what's wrong, she opens up her mouth.

"I lost my parents when I was 10. And I was left alone. It was devastating to be lonely but I bear with it."
She finally look up and face me, a sad smile plastered on her face. My heart clenches seeing that expression of her. I've never saw anything like that coming from her.

"I had only one goal in mind and I need to bear all my pain and loneliness alone just so I could achieve that one goal. At those times, books are the only thing that can help me cheer up, even just for a little bit. They didn't fill up the hole of loneliness in my heart but I did feel a little bit better by reading them."
She says as she put her hand on her chest. The sad smile from before slowly turns into a calming smile.

"I felt like books are amazing. They're like magic that can make people happy. I've saw countless of times when people read books, even little children, they would always sometimes smile at it. At those times, I felt like I wanted to do that too. To make a magic that can make people happy. Of course, there're also books that make people feel sad, terrified and even turned on...but that doesn't change the fact that they give people some feelings when reading it. That's why I love them."
I chuckle a but at her comment. As soon as she finished her story, she gives me a genuine, cheerful smile.

Her smile is so radiating that it almost makes me squint my eyes. Even with all those hardships she's been through, I'm impressed she can still sparkle brightly through it all.

I feel like I've finally known her a bit. Getting closer to her and understanding her pain. It might not be much but she still trusted me enough to tell her about her past.

'I wish to get to know her better. I wish to become closer to her. I wish to know everything about her.'

Those thoughts run through my head endlessly. At that exact moment, I bury those thoughts at the back of my mind, not wanting to let it conquer my brain. Maybe someday, when it's finally the right moment, I'll dig up those buried thoughts and finally let it take over my mind.

~~**~~
"I'm back..."
I said quietly to the empty house. As soon as I put my bag on the floor, I sit on the sofa, sighing a bit. Today was a bit tiring for me. Our class got punished to clean the school yard because the majority of my classmates that didn't finish their homework.

"I'm beat..."
I heave another sigh when I heard my phone rings. Seems like there's a mail coming from...

"Y/N?"
I straighten my back as if on reflect, my heart pounding against my ribcage for some unknown reason. What I do know is that I was feeling ecstatic over her message.

This happens everytime I got a new message from her. Even when I reread the old messages from her, I would always smile unconsciously. I wonder what was wrong with me.

From: Y/N
To: Ken
Hey, Ken! ( ' ▽ ' )ノ I saw you and your classmates cleaning the school yard today? Lol was that punishment ;p

I chuckle a bit. That was embarrassing, I thought. So she saw me, huh...Wait I mean, my classmates and I! I mean she saw us!

I calm myself down and try not to be embarrassed by my own self and text her back.

From: Ken
To: Y/N
Yeah...Most of my classmates didn't finish their homework so the teacher gave us that punishment. ^^;

From: Y/N
To: Ken
Heee~ Must've been hard for you. Btw, I saw this super interesting book that's gonna be released this Sunday! Let's go together and go to that cafe, Anteiku, for a short break! It would've been lonely to go there without any friends
(*';ェ;'*)

My lips tug into a smile. Of course I'll go since...I can also be with her more on weekend.

Just as I was about to agree to her invitation, I halt. My heart started to pound crazily as I realize that this is an invitation to a date.

Usually it would always be me who invite her but now, how the table has turned.

With a heavy blush on my face, I sent a message that agrees to it and I could actually feel my face heating up by passing moments.

From: Y/N
To: Ken
Nice! We'll meet at the usual place at 8.00 a.m. then go to that bookstore. Don't be late! You probably won't be but I'll just warn you anyway since it's gonna be a big release event, there's gonna be so many people and I don't want to miss getting that book. (;≧皿≦)

From: Ken
To: Y/N
Okay, I get you. I'll be there early for your sake. Well then, goodnight.

From: Y/N
To: Ken
Okie thanks! And goodnight to you too *ଘ( ॢᵕ꒶̮ᵕ(꒡ᵋ ꒡ღ)zZ‥

I close my phone with trembling hands.

'DID I SERIOUSLY JUST SAID "FOR YOUR SAKE"??????!!!!!! THAT'S SO EMBARRASSING!!!!'

I scream internally as I bury my face on the pillow with a seemingly eternal heavy blush on my face.

As I roll on my bed, my eyes are suddenly directed towards the picture album on the top of my book shelf. I silently gaze at the picture of Mom and little me.

"I wonder if Mom...will be happy if I said I made a new female friend...?"
I mumble quietly under my breath, my gaze is still directed at the picture.

"Mom..."
I was suddenly hit with a wave of sadness. It was such a long time ago yet her death still makes me sad.

I was alone and even with Hide and Y/N, that loneliness is hard to cure. Back when I was a child, I thought it was so devastating to lose my one and only mother.

Before I knew it, tears started to gather at my eyes. I quickly wipe them away and get on my feet to complete my chores and homework.

I wanted to feel happiness....even just once.

Meanwhile at Y/N's house

"AAAAAA!!!! OH MY GOD! DID I SERIOUSLY JUST INVITED HIM TO A DATE????!!! AND WHAT DID HE MEANT BY 'FOR MY SAKE'?????? I CAN'T HELP BUT TO OVERTHINKING IT EVEN THOUGH IT'S PROBABLY NOTHING!!!"

Y/N is currently attacked by the feeling of embarrassment and wanted to hide in a hole and never come out again.

The end of Chapter 3