in a heartbeat.

i apologize in advance.

- kami 🌻

///

kaycee's fingernails dug into the hospital bed as she crashed and screamed, tears soaking her shirt.

her brother at her side, pulling her head into his chest as he wiped the tears from her cheeks.

he rocked her back and forth, stifling the cries with his chest. "i'm so sorry, kaycee."

"he's go- he's gone." she cried, her hands tugging at the necklace around her neck.
"i can't believe he's gone, it should've been me. it should've been me."

she couldn't envision her life without him. he was her first thought in the morning and her last thought before she fell asleep.

every good memory she could recall, he was there. he was always there.

and now he wasn't.

it happened so quick. in a heartbeat.

the sound of tires screeching will forever remain in her memory, the way his hand flew to cover her without hesitation, and his face. it was unforgettable.

the smile that he wore seconds before he left this world will stay tattooed in her brain, the last time she will ever see his beautiful smile.

they were just on their way to his house, like a normal day, but it wasn't.

the car was filled with laughs as they began screaming to the music on the radio. it was just a normal day. a normal day.

it was only a few minutes before, he pulled out a small box. it was navy blue, with a white ribbon tied to the lid. she gasped as she opened it, her eyes meeting his as she closed the box.

"sean, i can't accept this. this must've costed a fortune, i can't let you-"

"kaycee, it doesn't matter how much it cost, you deserve something beautiful, just like you."

her pinks turned a rosy tint as her fingertips gently traced the numbers carved into the gold plate. "this is the date you asked me to join world of dance with you."

his cheeks puffed up as he tried his best to contain his smile, it didn't work.

he took the chain in his hand, gently placing it around her neck. "now let's go back to my place and shower cause you stink."

she scoffed, hitting his arm as her burst out in laughter. "i'm kidding!" he yelled, wrapping his arm around her. "but really, i'm tired and 'the office' is calling my name."

"thank you sean, really. i truly do appreciate you." she said, placing her lips against his cheek.

that was only a few minutes before it all happened. before the car flipped, before she saw him lying on the glass covered road, and then it all went blank.

she woke up in a hospital bed, the oxygen mask covering her face as she sat up, seeing all her friends and family, but she didn't see him. pulling her oxygen mask off she asked, "where's sean?"

tears filled their eyes as they looked to each other, everyone got up except her brother, devon.

"devon, where's sean?" she asked, confusion filling her voice as she looked around the room.

"kaycee, you and sean got in a car accident on your way to his house."

"what room is he in? can i see him? is he okay?" kaycee asked, sliding her legs over the side of the bed.

"kaycee, he's gone. he didn't make it."

"devon, that's not funny. where is he?" kaycee scoffed, unhooking herself from the beeping machines as she walked to the door.

he carried her back to the bed, holding back a sob. "i'm so sorry. i'm so so sorry."

it was just a normal day. it was like any other day.

it all happened so quick.

so quick.

he was gone.

it all happened so quick. in a heartbeat.

sarah walked into the room, her eyes filled with tears as she sat beside kaycee.

"sarah, im so sorry. it should've been me, he should be here right now, not me." she cried, as the asian girl pulled her into an embrace.

"kaycee, please don't." she cried into her neck. "he loved you so much, he wouldn't want you to feel guilty."

"he was everything to me. i loved him so much, so much more than just friends and i didn't even get to fucking tell him."

"i didn't get to fucking tell him all the things i wanted to. i never even told him i loved him." kaycee yelled in between sobs.

"kaycee, he knew. he knew how you felt and he felt the same way. he's not physically here, but he will always be with us."

he's not gone. he's sprinkled in our lives like fresh snow, or confetti.

he's not gone

he'll be back

in a heartbeat