Chapter 14: Death Mountain Mishaps

Author's Notes: (picture from gamepedia Zelda wiki)Oh boy, I'm struggling hard this week. I tried my best to get a jump on the next few chapters but work is trying to kill me, I'm sure of it. However, I promise not to drone on about excuses. I will say that this will be not as "action" packed as the last chapter for obvious reasons. I doubt any chapter, save some ideas I have for later, will rival how much I packed into chapter 13. As always, thank y'all for staying with me and we are at 1,000 reads! Honestly at the beginning when I started writing this I thought it might peak around 100 reads. This is still incredible to think of even now as I'm writing this. Thank you all so much, for everything!

In case y'all were wondering. I plan on finishing the story around 20 chapters, wherever that happens to fall. Like I said before, quality always over quantity. May be more, may be less, but I promise it will be completed for sure.  

Song stuff: Always liked this song and find it fitting for this chapter. Not only for obvious reasons but more, subtle things as well. 

Warnings: Depictions of violence and death, slight blood and vomit (not explicit). 

Link opened his eyes, like so many times before. This time however, he looked up at the ceiling and smiled to himself. He took a deep breath and reflected on the events of last night. Reaching his hand down he felt the unfamiliar shape of his new knife. Drawing the blade, he held it up to his face and saw his own eyes in the reflection. It truly was a perfect gift for Link and he planned on carrying it with him wherever he went. After a moment, he slid it back into its sheath and sat up on the bed. His cheeks ablaze at the memories of the previous night. It was almost embarrassing to recount what he did: spouting a love poem and giving Revali an almost priceless piece of jewelry. Now that was definitely something that he'd have to get used to, he was in an actual relationship. It isn't something he'd ever actually dealt with before so it would take some time to grow accustomed to it. He slipped on his champions tunic and stretched, ready to tackle the day.

Revali didn't seem to be awake yet so Link left the small lodge and shielded his eyes from the morning sun. There was a light breeze that weaved through the air and it turned out to be a nice, warm, sunny day. A few residents and travelers dotted the streets as Link silently watched the morning unfold, leaning against a small wooden post. A small blue butterfly fluttered by his face, and took a deep breath. He just hoped now that his companion had slept well.

Revali felt a harsh and heavy wind hit his chest, chilling him to the bone. They sky was shrouded in dark clouds, purple lightning flashed. Looking around he knew immediately that he was on top of Vah Medoh. Reaching behind him he gripped his trusty bow, nervous. Looking ahead he saw the blue glow of his terminal and started walking towards it. If he could make contact with Medoh then maybe he could navigate his way out of the storm. After getting halfway to the terminal he heard a dull thrumming in the area. His eyes shot around and raced between each of the pillars. He lifted his wings and readied his bow for a fight. Out of nowhere a blue beam of light shot directly at him with a high and piercing tone slowly dissipating. 

Because of his natural reflexes he was already in the air and flying as high as he could. He couldn't rise too high due to the momentum of Medoh; he'd be left behind if the storm collided with him. Staying around twenty feet above the ground he flew around the arena and looked for the source of the shot. Focusing his gaze he saw a dark shape in the distance, with a single, glowing, blue eye. The being had a large, flat face with an eye in the center, orange light illuminating the rest of its armor. It's body was a mass of black and purple Malice and it looked like the armor was bolted to it's skin instead of being worn. The creature lacked feet but made up for it by levitating in midair. At a glance Revali could pinpoint the origin of the shot, a large cannon like weapon on its right arm. He could already tell that this would be a difficult fight.