Chapter 5

March 8, 1940

Before I know it, a week has passed, and it's the evening of my date. I dance around my room as I try to figure out what to wear. Taking Frances' advice, I pull together something cute but warm to combat the chilly weather of Copenhagen in early March. I pin my hair away from my face and even put on a little bit of lipstick. When I walk downstairs, my mother stands up from her chair in the living room and claps her hands together.

"Oh sweetheart, you look beautiful!"

My father walks in from his study and a bittersweet smile forms on his face. "He's a lucky boy."

I sit down on the couch and wait for Jacob to get here. My leg starts bouncing, and I begin to fidget with the edge of my red dress. Frances instructed me to wear this one when I told her and Eva about my date. They were both elated for me and desperately wanted to meet him, but I wanted to get to know him first.

It had actually only been a few days since I saw Jacob. After my violin lesson with Mrs. Peterson on Wednesday, I rode to the bakery and told him that my dad demanded to meet him before we could do anything together. He seemed to be okay with this, although a little bit nervous.

"You're sure that your father isn't going to kill me, right?"

"No, I don't think so. Not in front of my sister, at least."

"Oh, okay. That makes me feel a lot better, thanks Ana."

My thoughts are disrupted by a series of knocks at the door. My father crosses the room and opens the door to greet him.

"Jacob," he greets.

"Mr. Clemensen," I hear.

"Come in."

My mother rushes over to the doorway. "Hello, Jacob. It's so nice to meet you! I'm Ana's mother."

"It's so nice to meet you too, Mrs. Clemensen. You have a beautiful home."

I stand up from the couch and walk into the doorway's view. His eyes widen when he sees me, and I hear him suck in his breath. He almost lets go of the bouquet of daisies that he's holding and he makes the motion to run his hand through his hair but stops himself from messing it up.

He looks incredibly handsome. Slicked back from his face, his hair is actually tamed for once. His tan high waisted pants make his legs seem even longer, and the blue of his sweater make his green eyes stand out behind his glasses. I notice that he's carrying a pack on his broad shoulders, but I'm not sure of what's in it.

"Ana, hello!" he stammers out. "You look... amazing. Incredible. Wow."

I try to hide my blush as a smile breaks out on my face. "Thank you."

Realizing my father was still standing next to him, Jacob's face turns a light shade of red, and he clears his throat. My mother comes to take the bouquet of daisies out of his hand to put them in some water.

"Behave yourself. Or else," my father warns.

"Yes, sir."

"Where will you be for the evening?"

"Østre Anlæg park."

"Have her home by nine o'clock. No later. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

Satisfied, my father shakes his hand and kisses my forehead before going to sit in the living room. My mom tells us to have fun and ushers us out of the door after I put on my coat.

"So, why are we going to Østre Anlæg?" I ask.

"You'll see."

When we arrive at the park about fifteen minutes later, I understand what he means. He lets go of the pack resting on his shoulder and pulls out two pairs of ice skates.