Hosea Matthews: Con versus Con

Hosea Matthews X Female Reader

Request: You meet Hosea for the first time. Hosea tries to scam you but you're only pretending to fall for it because you like him and want to tease this stranger.

Word Count: 2480

You walked into the high class saloon, smoothing out the skirt of your expensive dress. This wasn't your usual attire but it helped you look like you belonged in places like this. You are a con-woman and a thief, you had to look the part if you wanted to get people to trust you. You glanced around the room and saw a few tables filled with well dressed men playing poker, a few men sat at the bar, other men sat around tables drinking and talking, other men were talking with some women over by the stairs.

You walked further into the busy room and headed towards the bar, you took a seat at the end of the bar and observed the room. The bartender walked over to you and you ordered a drink with a polite smile, returning your attention back to the room when he walked away. You thanked the bartender for placing your drink down in front of you before you glanced over to the door of the saloon.

Two men walked into the saloon and looked around, much like the way you did when you first entered. Your interested peaked when you saw them look at you, they hadn't noticed that you were able to see them and that you were watching them. Both men were well dressed, one had slick black hair and the other man was a little older with short greying hair.

They were talking to each other and seemed to be arguing about something. The black haired man gestured towards you, obviously forgetting that he was meant to be being subtle. The older man shook his head and seemed to be talking in a calmer manner than the other man. The black haired man sighed and rolled his eyes before giving up, he nodded before walking over to the bar. The black haired man sat on the far end of the bar, as far from you as you could sit.

You turned your attention to your drink as the older gentleman approached you. You took a sip from your glass and pretended to just spare him a quick glance. For somebody rather quite older than you, he was very attractive. He had a kind look in his eyes and a face that you could trust, of course you didn't fall for any of that. As soon as the pair walked in you knew that they were up to something. The man leaning against the bar beside you as he ordered a drink for himself, he kept to himself as the bartender placed his drink down in front of him. The man thanked and paid the bartender before taking a sip of his drink.

"Excuse me, Miss" the man finally spoke. He pushed himself off of the bar and turned to you with a kind smile. You smiled back at him, trying not to look too sympathetic since he had definitely chosen the wrong person to talk to this afternoon.

"Yes?" you asked as you looked up at him, keeping a polite smile on your face.

"I don't mean to bother you but...do you know this area well?" the man asked, obviously pretending to be hesitant to 'bother' you.

"I do" you lied as you nodded at him, your smile never fading.

"You see, I'm looking for my friend. I know that he came here but I can't seem to find him" he explained, his facial expression saddening for a moment.

"Is your friend over there looking for him as well?" you asked, gesturing towards the dark haired man at the other end of the bar.

"Oh yes, well he says he is. I will be honest with you Miss, he isn't much help" the older man shook his head with a sigh. You gave him a sympathetic look, as if you were actually buying any of this.

"Well, perhaps I will be able to help. You seem like an honest man so I will do my best to be of use. What does your friend look like?" you asked, resting your elbow on the bar and leaning towards him with a look of sympathy and interest on your face. He seemed to be buying you act even if he wasn't buying yours.