Katerina

I looked up when Elijah walked into the kitchen, a pleased smirk on his face.

"Don't you look like the vampire who ate the girl," I remarked.

He blinked, staring at me in confusion "What?"

I shrugged sheepishly "Kind if like the cat that ate the canary?"

"You're weird," the Original shook his head "I had a good day."

"Ookay," I murmured, turning back to the stove and stirring the vegetables.

"Yes, you know. I did the usual stuff. Eavesdrop on a conversation about me, make a vampire stake himself and destroy a shop window with change."

"Change?" I asked incredulously.

"Change," he nodded.

"Like quarters and pennies?"

"You forgot nickels and dimes," Elijah pointed out.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head "I don't even want to know."

"It was-"

"No," I cut him off "I'm serious. I don't want to know." I took the pan from the stove and dumped the vegetable rice onto a plate "Do you want some?"

"Please," Elijah nodded. I handed him the plate I just filled and grabbed another one. Soon we were sitting at the table, eating in silence.

"Can I ask you something?" I spoke up quietly.

"Of course." He tilted his head.

"You told me that your family swore to protect my bloodline, but why? What makes me so special?"

"One of your ancestors did us a favour and in return, my brothers and I promised protection for her line," Elijah told me "It also helps that you are incredibly mature for your age. I can already see you and the little ones as part of the family."

"Speaking of little ones," I mused "Could you perhaps drive me to a doctor if I make an appointment?"

He agreed without a thought before he startled "What would you have done if you hadn't met me?"

I shrugged "Would've found a way."

"I'm sure. Text me as soon as you have an appointment," Elijah said, taking the empty plates to the kitchen.

"You don't have to wash the dishes, 'Lijah," I told him, leaning against the counter next to him.

"I want to. You should rest," he nudged me into the direction of the couch "I'll be right there."

I watched him for a few seconds, before slinking off in the direction of the living room "You know, you could just move in. You're here most of the time anyway," I sighed, not even bothering to raise my voice. I heard a chuckle.

"Well your house is certainly big enough," he remarked.

"It is," I agreed, trailing off.

"So I can move in?" Was that my imagination or did he sound hopeful?

"If that's what you want," I told him "I mean you have to share a house with a teenager."

"It is," he smiled, beckoning me closer. I walked over to him and he engulfed me in a gentle hug "You know, I haven't been this open with anyone in a while."

I laughed "You were kinda badass when I first met you."

"Thank you, Meagan," he whispered.

"You can call me Meg, Maggie or Annie or whatever," I said, snuggling into his chest. Being with him, I don't know. I felt something I only felt with my grandmother. Protected. Elijah made me feel like I was protected and like he actually wanted to spend time with me.