Chapter 17

I kept on flipping pages absentmindedly. My mind was preoccupied with a lot of things. I shake my head and try to concentrate on the book but I knew it felt impossible. I cannot draw normalcy in my life now that it has changed drastically. I take a deep breath and look out of the window. It was close to 7:00 in the evening.

Two days, it's been two days since I got out of this room. I spent every second of it crying and drowning in self pity. Two days of complete torture, of not knowing what was happening in Seattle. I didn't call dad, I just lay low. I didn't have a face to call dad, it was sheer shame. Shame of failing what he planned. I did not want to meet Mr. Rodriguez in fact he was one of the important reasons I hid here. He would probably be enjoying , having a good laugh seeing me all worked up and thinking how dumb I actually was.If there was anything I detested in the world then it would people laughing on me, I always wanted to challenge things and prove my worthy. I never accepted defeat. My biggest weakness was overthinking , I was hurt by trivial matters.

I play with my fingers and observe my room, I spent two whole days eyeing every inch out of boredom. I completed all the books he gave me, I don't know why he picked such philosophical  books, the only interesting thing was Sherlock Holmes. The thriller had my mind off things for a little while.

Today was Friday. Tomorrow is the day he is going to let the world know he is engaged. Today is officially the last day where I could have done something to save my life but I just decided to stay quiet. My decisions had implications, I didn't want to jeopardise things anymore. He said dad would be There tomorrow, I didn't get a call from dad, maybe he has something in his mind. Moreover he had Summer with him, they were going to work something out. They will be here with me by this time tomorrow. I prayed every second of these two days to keep my dad safe. He was over working himself, his health is not the best at the moment.

It's been long since I talked with mom. I wanted to call her, but hearing her voice will make me weak and the fear that I have been trying to bury will resurface. I can't risk it, she will worry way too much.

A sudden knock on the door pulls me out my thoughts. I hoped it wasn't Mr.Rodriguez. I hoped he hadn't come to remind me that my time is up, and he wants his end of the bargain.

Mustering all my strength,I slowly open the door. I find a young girl, two-three years younger to me probably. She was the same girl who had brought me food the other day, like usual she has her head bowed down. She had light brown hair which was tied up in a tight bun. I immediately make way for her when I find her holding a tray filled with food. She got me my dinner.

She gets in and places the tray on the table and immediately rushes out, after a second she gets in holding few bags. She sets it on the couch. She fumbles with her fingers and I fold my hands against my chest.

"Sir has asked me to get you dinner here madam and he asked us to give you these"
She points towards the bags and I give her a nod.

"Is Mr.Rodriguez here?" She uncomfortably shifts her eyes

"No, sir just left" I sigh in relief. I go towards the food and open the lids, she got me red sauce pasta today with a glass of lime juice. I look at her who was shaking standing there.

"Are you okay dear..what's you name" I softly speak to her trying my best not to catch her off guard

"Lexi Madam" I give her a feeble smile.

"Lexi would you like to sit with me" I tried my best to be comforting. I craved for some company, it's been two days since I had human contact.

"Sorry Madam. I'm needed downstairs" she gives me one last glance And practically runs out of the door.They all were alike, neither of them were receiving. I look inside the covers and immediately throw them away. They were dresses and jewellery inside, just what kind of a women did Mr.Rodriguez think I was. I scoff away in disgust.