Ch. 1

"Thank you for meeting me, Chan."

Chan nodded and shook hands with the older man, "No problem, Jin. I take business gatherings seriously."

Jin nodded in agreement and the two sat in their respective spots at the polished, black onyx table. The chairs were velvet-cushioned and mahogany. The old man has taste, Chan thought as he sat down.

Jin folded his hands and bent a bit forward. The overhead light, though dim, was bright enough to emphasize the wrinkles on his face. Though only 73, the current state of the underground took a toll on Jin. His eyes were constantly clouded with thoughts and his eye-bags were large and graying. Chan could spot a few white hairs from Jin's normally dark brown hair.

"I'm sure you know that I am eager to make an alliance with SKZ, due to the—uh, current state of the syndicates," Jin spoke quietly. Almost as a whisper.

Chan silently agreed. How could he not be aware? The entire black market world was at war, ever since the Russian mafia assassinated the leader of the Italian mafia. Fortunately, SKZ wasn't affiliated with either of the groups. On the other hand, Jin's mafia, BTS, is being targeted by the Russians, since the Italians are allies with them. If not for the wealth and power of BTS, Chan would've left Jin's mafia to rot from the Russians and their partner groups. BTS also had strong ties to other elite mafias, such as TXT and SVT, but Jin's syndicate was too large to be defended by merely two mafias.

"What type of alliance do you have in mind?" Chan asked. He twisted the silver ring on his finger calmly.

Jin loosened his tie a bit. This was definitely not going to be easy to say.

"I was thinking... an alliance through marriage."

Chan stopped moving his ring.

A marriage?

He was quite taken aback. Chan thought the alliance would be a blood pact or an exchange of arms or a transaction. But, a marriage? He knew Jin was old, but he didn't realize his brain was ancient. Not many mafias made alliances by wedding two people. Not in the twenty-first century.

But, Chan and Jin could see no other choice. If Chan declined the alliance offer, both would suffer at the hands of the Russians.

Taking a deep breath, Chan asked, "Who do you plan on wedding?"

"My youngest granddaughter... and you."

At these words, Chan clenched his jaw. This geezer was really testing his nerves. He could've chosen anyone else in SKZ, but Jin just had the audacity to choose its leader. Plus,
Chan never saw himself getting married in the first place. He saw the whole event of marriage as an obstacle in his path to success.

Chan took a deep breath in. He didn't notice how hard he was gripping his ring. "I suppose we can make that arrangement. Just send me her profile."

Jin nodded and got up, Chan following suit.

The two mafia leaders shook hands and parted their ways; minds full of worry and anticipation for what was to come.