24

BRIDESMAID DRESS AND ELLA'S DRESS ABOVE HEEEYYYYYY

March 12, 2019

"I didn't leave work to be put in a complete self-esteem lowering situation." Jet mumbled under her breath. She had just walked out of her dressing room and started throwing a fit once she saw Tessa in the dress. "It's not fair! Tessa is a model!"

"Your point?" I asked. If one wanted Jet to stop complaining and deal with things without having to hear her opinion, then one had to bring her down from the throne she put herself on and make her feel small...so I'd learned from making quiet observations throughout the years.

"She could literally wear grandma night gown and still make it look good."

Being confined in this small studio with about twelve other people was driving me insane. I felt trapped each time Jet would find something new to complain about and trust me, her complaints were always trivial. I was so close to pulling my list of bridesmaids and marking Jet right out of the wedding.

"Jet, it's not even your wedding and you're complaining like a bridezilla!" Noelle cried, trying to ignore the fact that a woman was on her knees in front of her, cutting up the slip. "The point of this fitting is to have the dresses altered to our bodies. Jesus Christ, Jet. Did you forget everything you've ever learned?"

Jet clenched her jaw, stomping back into her dressing room.

Tessa leaned into me, "Is she always this...dogmatic?"

"She used to be worse." I teased. But Jet was definitely at her prime with opinions today than she was in college. Every time I would change something new in my apartment she would find something to complain about, so after awhile I stopped inviting her over and made up the lie that Richard didn't like people at the house.

"Someone should slip her a Xanax." Alya muttered to me and Sasha.

"You eventually tune her out."

"Talia, what do you think about the rhinestones on Ella's dress?" One of the ladies shouted over the madness, holding a silver belt of rhinestones around Ella's waist.

"Knock the silver and put gold ones." She nodded and quickly did as told.

"How do you feel?" I stood behind Sofia, taking in her appearance in the mirror she was standing in front of. Jet could complain all she wanted about Tessa looking good in the dress, but Sofia made it look better.

"It's comfortable. I thought it'd be unpleasant, but I love it. I feel incredible in it." Sofia observed her reflection in the mirror ahead. "I'm still trying to comprehend the fact that you chose me to be your maid of honor."

"It was a close run between you and Jet." I winked.

-

Rich and Eli were attentive to a baseball game in the living room this evening. Jack was asleep for the night (hopefully) and Ella and my mom were sitting with me at the dining table, watching me sketch out a dress for the store. The big bosses were pleased with the work we submitted yesterday and asked us each to do another sketch each.

"I think I should get going, T." My mom placed a hand on my shoulder. "It's getting late."

"I'll call you a cab, Mom." Rich stressed the name as he stood from the couch to get his phone.

I might've gagged and pretended to stab my eyes out with the pencil in my hand while Rich wasn't looking.

My mom shot me a sad smile before kissing Ella's temple. "I'll see you girls tomorrow." She kissed my temple as well.

"I love you, grandma." Ella gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"I love you too."

Rich walked my mom down, staying with her until the cab picked her up. He was making up for a lot. He'd been more interactive with the kids, he'd surprised me with a few gifts at work, and spent a lot of time with my mom on his own. There weren't enough gifts or time spent with my mom that could make me feel any better about this.

Ella joined Eli on the couch, resting her head on her brother's shoulder as she found no interest in the sport.

Maybe to feel better about getting married, I could start with getting rid of those letters. My hand needed a nice break from sketching anyway. I skimmed through the picture book of England until I found the first letter, setting it aside. Then the first one from Dusseldorf. Toronto. Washin-

"What are you doing?" I turned to Rich who leaned against the book shelf, giving me a curious smile.

"Getting rid of some things." I waved the letters then pulled out the last letter from a book on the presidents. "Things that I meant to get rid of a long time ago."

"You don't have to throw them out," He motioned to the bin nearby, picking them out and handing them back. "Just hide them away."

He was definitely trying to get on my good side and it could not be scarier. The way he was acting lately made me suspicious about him hiding something from me again. No one kissed ass this much unless they were hiding something and were trying to make up for it before someone found out.

"Those letters mean a lot to you, I'm not stupid. You can't just throw away a big part of your life like that and act like you're fine with it." I looked up at him then down at the letters. I guess he was putting a lot of effort into making this work, even if it meant allowing me to keep some stuff from my ex. "As long as I don't see them again I'll be fine."

"I'm just trying here, Rich." I sighed. "I want you to see that."

"And you trying to do this right now gives me enough proof that you are trying, T."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." He nodded his head.