Academy

I wrung my hands together nervously. Even though Sean had immediately strolled into the principal's office and promptly draped himself over a chair with his long gangly legs outstretched over the armrest, I couldn't find it in me to mimic his confidence.

       "Sean," I hissed, "Mom is gonna kill us. What did you do?"

       "Chill, Pookster," Sean drawled, "I haven't done anything. The only reason you could be here is for some kind of academic recognition, so relax."

       I let out a huff, but I felt a little better. Sean liked to play around a bit, but if he said he didn't do anything, I believed him. And I knew he'd have my back no matter why we were here.

       I took a few tentative steps further into the room, coming to stand behind my brother, who was currently imitating a chainsaw as he faked being asleep.

       I thought I'd been on high alert, but as the door opened silently behind me I almost flew into the air, spinning around as a man entered the room. He smelt like sterile spaces and disinfectant, like our parents did when they returned from long shifts at the hospital.

       I'd never seen this man around the school, and judging by Sean's reaction, neither had he. My seemingly relaxed brother was on his feet and in front of me in an instant.

       "Relax, kids. Take a seat," the man said as he moved around the desk and sat in the principal's padded chair, looking at ease.

       I met Sean's wary green eyes with my own. He nudged me towards one of the chairs before taking his seat beside me, but I could tell he would be ready to move in a heartbeat if he needed to.

       "Who are you?" Sean asked immediately.

       The man smiled, the skin around his eyes crinkling as he did so, making him appear instantly pleasant and cheerful. "My name is Doctor Phil Roberts, but you can call me Phil. I'm a close friend of your parents. I regret that we haven't met yet, but they've always spoken very highly of you both."

       My eyes flew to the name plaque on the desk, reinforcing that this definitely wasn't his office, before I felt my heart lodge in my throat as I registered his words.

       "Did something happen to Mama and Papa? Is that why you're here?" I rasped, suddenly feeling as though I could barely breathe.

       I felt Sean's larger hand wrap around my own, comforting me, but my eyes were only on the man in front of us. He frowned instantly, wincing, before smiling apologetically.

       "Your parents are perfectly fine, dear. They warned me you were cautious, but I hadn't anticipated that my presence might scare you. No, I'm here to offer you an opportunity, should you wish to take it."

      Sean's hand hadn't left mine, and I laced my fingers with his as he spoke for us. "What kind of opportunity?"

      Dr. Roberts' smile turned more genuine at the undisguised curiosity in my brother's voice. "I'd like to bring in another guest before I explain, if you'd allow it?"

       I eyed the empty chair next to Sean, before sharing a long look with my brother. Did we actually have a choice? Sean shrugged, not seeing the harm in it. We were still at school after all, in a public, safe place, he seemed to think. I wasn't so reassured, but I nodded my assent anyway.

       "Please come in, Owen." Dr. Roberts called out.

       It wasn't a moment later that the door eased open to reveal a boy around the same height and age as Sean. Though by looking over my brother's unruly appearance and hunched over form, and comparing this boy's perfect posture and manicured appearance, you could easily think that this boy was years older than he truly was.