Chapter 12 (The real one, I promise)

Published: 2nd April, 2019
________________________________
Ever since the day Severus took care of Harry, he had been even ruder than ever before. He clearly showed his distaste for the young boy, for whenever he would hug him, Severus would just push him away. Harry was very upset when this happened, and he tried to make up for it. He tried apologizing straight away, but Severus didn't even look in his direction. He even took up three hours trying to make "the best card ever", only to have his tender heart broken when Severus ripped it up to shreds without even opening it when he tried to give it to him in the Great Hall. Minerva was simply furious when she found out.

"Ev'us doesn' love me an' more." he sobbed after Minerva was done with all her classes. " 'Cause 'm a fweak." Minerva was angry, she still wasn't hundred percent sure what Harry did, but Severus was being too mean to the boy. She carried him to her favourite chair and sat down with him in her arms.

"You're not a freak," she explained."He is just a little mad. He will forgive you, I promise."  She let him rest his head on her chest and started to subtly rock him. She planned to talk to him about this, but only after the Halloween party was over.

The Halloween party was coming up tomorrow, and all teachers, including Severus, ususally helped decorate the Great Hall. It was normally a very festive occasion, but for the past Halloween, she wasn't feeling in the mood to celebrate since it was also the anniversary of the Potter's untimely deaths. The decorations were starting in half an hour, so Minerva decided to take Harry downstairs with her since none of the other teachers would be able to babysit him.

When they arrived downstairs, Harry was awed by all the decorations. There were flying witches on brooms and live bats, but the cauldrons reminded him of Snape. He remembered that one time, there were decorations like this back at the Dursleys, and Dudley always went trick or treating. He pulled at Minerva's robes to grab her attention.

"Twick o tweat?" he asked, his eyes sparkling with hope. Minerva felt so stupid, of course he would want to go trick or treating, it is part of nearly every young witches and wizard's childhood, including herself. She still remembered the fun days filled with friends and candies. "Of course we will go trick or treating." she assured. She planed on asking Dumbledore for help with this later. She got started on the decorations with Pomona.

**Page Break**

Two hours were over and Harry was thoroughly enjoying himself. He loved to sit on the Hagrid's vast pumpkins that were carved into lanterns and playing around with the Hogwarts  ghosts. But Severus was still not there, although the decorations were completed. The Great Hall looked incredible, and all the teachers were proud of themselves. Minerva was quite curious about Severus's disappearance and decided to go look for him in his quarters.

She made her way to the dungeons and to his quarters and knocked on the door. It was opened by a scruffy Severus, whose naturally combed hair was out of place and his usual teaching robes were replaced by a nightgown. He looked very irritated, which scared Harry and made him hide in Minerva's robes.

"What do you want?" he hissed. 

"I want to talk to you about Harry." Minerva started, but Severus already tried to close the door, which was blocked by Minerva. "What did he do to you?"

" I'm not going ruin my dignity to run after Potter's spawn. His father must be proud of him," he spat. "He is exactly like his father. Mark my words, he will be a serious bully like James, Minerva."

She was now infuriated. He was going to scare Harry just because of his father? No way was she having this. " Fine then, you can be this way. I don't want Harry to be with a petty person like you. We are going, I hope you're happy now." she hissed and attempted to take Harry away.

But Harry didn't want to go. She tried to pull him away, but he stayed firm. "I-I wanna be with Ev'us." he declared. Both Minerva and Snape were shocked.

Flashback:

"FREAK!" Tobias Snape screamed at his son, whom he was grabbing by the collar. He threw the boy across the room. His mother was already unconscious downstairs after Tobias hit her with a strong punch. Now he was going to act his drunken rage upon Severus. He loomed over the frightened boy.

"No one would ever be with someone like you," he spat in his face. " No one likes a freak like you. You will never have friends" He took out his belt and started to hit him.

Severus never made a noise, he was never allowed to unless he wanted a whipping. He let the belt and his father's words sink into him as he slowly lost consciousness due to the excess blood falling from his wounds.

End of Flashback

Snape's heart broke into a million pieces. He was so mean and brutal to him, but he still wanted to be on good terms with him. Not even Lily was this sweet. He tried to say something, but Minerva had already taken Harry in her arms and walked away. He gave one last look at Harry, only to see that his eyes were filled with tears.

 Feeling bad, he shut the door and continued lazing around. He never usually did this, it was just because of the events that unfolded two years ago which took away the love of his life. He turned on the radio and shut his eyes.

**Page Break**

The next day, since it was a holiday, Minerva had planned to stay in her quarters. But Harry had other plans. He was very rowdy and continuously insisted that Minerva took him out on the grounds and let him play. She finally gave in and took him out. 

While they were out on the grounds, Severus came to them with a parcel in his hands. He came down to Harry's level and looked him in his eyes.

"Harry," he began. In his opinion it sounded better than Potter, it was different than his father. "I am sorry for being very bad with you. I hope this makes up for it."

Harry wasted no time in wrapping his arms around him. "Though' you woul' never be my fwiend 'gain." he cried. By this time, Minerva came to them.

"Ev'us is my fwiend 'gain!" he exclaimed, a wide grin spread across his face. Minerva smiled a little. He finally came to his senses.

That Halloween was a festive one indeed, with the extravagant decorations and the troupe of dancing skeletons Dumbledore had booked. And for trick or treating, Minerva gave a bowl of candy to every staff member and Harry went around collecting candy from them. Even some students snuck out candy from the Great Hall to give it to the eager boy. Minerva and Harry slept that night feeling happier than ever.