Cracks Let The Light In

Clarke's POV

"Let go of me!" I shout angrily, attempting to free myself from the guards who have each of their hands wrapped around my arms.

"Shof op" one of them growls.

"What?!" I begin to kick wildly. "English?!"

"Be quiet" he mutters annoyed.

I see a tent similar to that of the commanders. They lead me toward it open the flap and throw me inside. I hit the floor with a "thump" and turn to spit at them but they are already gone.

I look around. A bed with furs. Lots of furs. A large table with a piece of charcoal and a journal. The tent is dark except for what must be fifty candles flickering.

I wonder if she saw the journal yet. If she will understand what it means. If she will mention it next time she comes to see me.

I wrote it because I can see her emotionless mask that she puts up every time she waivers, but I can also see the cracks. When her eyes search mine. Right before she turns her back and clinches her jaw. That slight moment of hesitation. I can use that to my advantage, I think to myself.

I sit on the bed and run my fingers through the furs. Thinking about her tent. About her bed. About her.

Sitting alone in the silence I have a moment to look down at the clothes I'm wearing. They are similar to what these people wear.

"Grounders" I say to myself. I'll call them grounders.

I take off the coat of furs so I'm just in a tank top. Slipping my legs under the furs, I lay staring at the journal on the table. Why had she ordered that to be in my tent? Why is my tent so big? So...furnished?

The other grounder tents that I could see on my way here were smaller and definitely not glowing from fifty candles.

I sighed and sunk into the furs. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to drift off into a comfortable sleep.

———————————————————————————

Whoosh

I stirred slightly. Barely awake I rolled over and pulled the furs over my shoulders.

"Clarke" I heard someone whisper. Their breath touching my shoulder and causing shivers to go down my spine.

I opened my eyes slowly. Cautiously. Green eyes illuminated by flickering candles. Her face was gently brushed with candlelight.

I sat up quickly. The furs falling off of my bare shoulders. I saw her eyes flicker down to my chest, then over my shoulders and collarbone, past my lips and then back to my eyes.

"Lexa?" I whispered.

"We have to be quiet, no one can know I'm here" her hushed voice was still full of authority.

"Why are you here...secretly?" I tried to speak in a hushed tone.

"I couldn't sleep" her gaze fell from my eyes, "that note you wrote.."

I smiled and allowed her to catch me.

"Why? What..." she searched for the words.

I coughed slightly and her eyes once again met mine.

"Lex-....Commander, you know exactly what it means" I smiled.

She shook her head as If to clear her thoughts. Her expression was soft. Her lips slightly parted. Her eyes clear.

"I talked to Indra and I am holding off my army until I can meet with the war council" She let out a sigh of relief.

"Lexa!" I cried happily.

She lunged forward and pushed me down onto my back with her hand pressed roughly against my lips.

"Shof op!" She whispered harshly.

I looked up at her and she removed her hand from my mouth slowly. She relieved she was still leaning over me and sat back on the bed.

"Be quite" I whispered.

"What?!" Confusion mixed with anger in her tone.

"That's what you said" I muttered, "Shof op."

She nodded slowly. Wearily almost.

"Clarke, I don't want to kill your people." She breathed, "I need you're help convincing my war council not to attack."

I stood up abruptly. Making us very close together since she had been standing right against the edge. She backed up after a second.

"You're the commander!" I whispered loudly, "tell them not to attack."

"They will question my judgement, Clarke" she sighed.

"Of course, I'll help you" I smiled and leaned into her unconsciously.

She didn't back up. She stayed. Allowing us to be inches apart. Her eyes flickered to my lips and then back up to meet my gaze.

She turned and inhaled sharply. I could hear her shaky breathing as she paced the tent.

"I appreciate the tent and the journal. The furs and...all the candles" I laughed.

She turned, "what's wrong with the candles."

"Nothing!" I smiled widely.

"I'll see you in the morning Clarke kom skikru" she allowed her eyes to scan my body before turning to leave.

"Goodnight Heda" I whispered.

She turned to look at me once again, "the cracks let the light in" she breathed heavily.

"The cracks let the light in" I repeated to myself.