74 ~ Here For You

The chanted ceiling of the Great Hall was hidden from view by a flurry of owls, each of them carrying letters and parcels for the students

The chanted ceiling of the Great Hall was hidden from view by a flurry of owls, each of them carrying letters and parcels for the students. Eloise looked up from her coffee when Osiris landed in front of her, extending his leg with a letter from their parents. She took the parchment and stroked his feathers with her finger. She scanned the letter and raised her eyebrows,

"J..." she trailed off when she saw her brother tries to throw bread crusts into Ozzy's mouth, but hitting the owl in the face as it didn't try to catch the food and stood looking rather bored, "Right...well, I'm going to pretend that I didn't see that...Mum and Dad are going on holiday to Tenerife for two weeks at Christmas so we're staying here." she told him and James looked up,

"Why the bloody hell are they going to Tenerife?" he asked but Eloise's reply was interrupted by a sharp voice calling down the hall,

"Miss Evans!" McGonagall strode down the Gryffindor Table, "If you will please accompany me to the Headmaster's office." she said and Lily frowned, standing up from her seat, "You may want to bring someone with you, perhaps Miss Potter?" she asked and Lily nodded gesturing for Eloise to join her, both of them sharing a confused look. Eloise looked at her half-eaten waffles and pouted. Sirius snorted and pecked her cheek as she stood up, promising he'd save her some waffles.

~~~

Eloise and Lily were sat in the chairs opposite Dumbledore's desk as the silver haired man looked uncharacteristically grave.

"Miss Evans," he began, clasping his fingers together on the desk, "I'm sure you're aware that since the war has broken out, followers of a certain Dark Lord have been targeting muggles." he said and Eloise's breath hitched in her chest and she began bouncing her knee, "I'm sorry to inform you that last night they broke into your family home-"

"No..."

"I'm afraid your parents are no longer with us."

"No!" Lily's hands raised her her lips and her eyes had widened, swimming with tears. She took a shuddering breath and whispered another,

"No..."

Eloise had put her head in her hands, squeezing her eyes shut and wishing over and over that it weren't true. The Evans' had as good as raised her, taking her in when she was just twelve and had plucked up enough courage to run away from her father and Malfoy Manor. They had accepted her into their family without so much as a second thought and Eloise would be grateful for as long as she lived for the muggles who had fed, clothed and loved her for three years.

She heard Lily let out a choked sob and looked up from her hands, opening her eyes and allowing the hot tears to spill onto her cheeks. She reached over and clutched her best friend's hand, squeezing it tightly as her shoulders shook. Looking up, she saw the Headmaster give them a pitying look over his half moon glasses,

"Once again, I'm very sorry, Miss Evans. And you too, Miss Potter." he said, nodding to Eloise who bit her lip and held back a sob.

"Lils..." she whispered, "Let's get back to the dorm."  she stood up and pulled Lily up, putting an arm around her shoulders, walking her out of the office.

~~~

Eloise and Lily were sat in the Common Room, not having made it to the dorm before the redhead collapsed on the sofa, crying into her hands. Eloise sat beside her, pulling her into a hug and letting her cry into her shoulder, trying to hold back her own tears. The portrait door opened and the Marauders walked in, laughing and joking around. Their jovial moods dropped instantly when they saw the girls on the sofa. Lily crying heavily into Eloise whilst she stared into the fire, tear tracks visible on her cheeks.

Sirius immediately sprinted over, crouching down in front of Eloise and placing his hands on her knees,

"Eloise, love, what's wrong?" he asked, obviously concerned. James followed Sirius seconds later, sitting on the arm of the sofa next to Lily. As Remus sat on the armchair with Peter stood apprehensively behind him,

"Belle?" James asked, his usual arrogant tone being replaced with a much more gentle and sincere one, looking very discomforted at Lily's crying, "What happened?" he watched in worry as his sister took a shaking breath,

"L-Lily's parents...they were killed...b-by death eaters." she choked out and James clasped a hand to his forehead as Sirius dropped his head,

"Fucking hell..." he muttered, shaking his head and looking up, putting a hand on Eloise's cheek, "I'm so sorry, Lou. And Lily...I- We may not be that close, but I'm here for you." he said softly and Lily looked up from Eloise shoulder, wiping her eyes.

"Th-Thank you, Sirius." she whispered, blinking rapidly.

"Lily..." James voice came out tender and caring as he looked at Lily, eyes swimming with sympathy, "I know you don't like me much, but if you need anything, I promise I'm here." he put a hand on her shoulder and Lily looked up at him, bottom lip quivering. James sighed and sat down next to the girl, hesitating slightly before putting his arm around her. Unlike any other time James attempted to show affection to the girl, Lily moved closer to him, burying her head into the crook of his neck. Her shoulders shook once more and James put his other arm around her, resting his cheek on the top of her head.

Sirius moved to sit next to Eloise, pulling her into him and stroking her hair as she let herself cry. James and Sirius looked at eachother, both feeling the same pain as they watched the girls hurting. Remus stood up, telling the others that he was going to get some hot chocolate from the kitchens, Peter immediately followed, feeling uncomfortable at the sight of Eloise looking so broken. Sirius pulled Eloise closer into his side and kissed the top of her head, his heart clenching as she sniffed. At that moment Sirius knew that seeing Eloise upset was single thing he hated most in the world and he would never stop trying to make sure he never had to see it again.

So I know that this isn't how Lily's parents died and that they died of natural causes but it's for the sake of the story