Child of the night

Even though this world's society collapsed because of the snake people, there probably... misunderstood. 'No there not.' We consider ourselves as good, but that's some stupid definition we gave to things. To some prey animal we could be considered evil, and we consider killing some other species as, fine. A species on its own can't be one thing. Even though we deny it, most of the human population is bad, with that small deformity of the good. What makes them different. If we see their flaws and ignore our own. If we consider them evil for what they do. What's stopping them to think the same about us? What's stopping them from being like us? 'There ugly piles of flesh with scales, and people are ugly piles of flesh without scales.'

The sun was starting to set, it had started to drizzle. The rain was acidic, it stung my skin, fizzing away when it reached a surface "There's a cave!" I whisper heading toward the small opening in the earth.

I drop my backpack on the ground and lay down by the side of the cave. Cactuses nose sticks out of my bag, sniffing at the air.

He shyly makes his way out of the bag, before continuing to wiggle his nose in the air. I reach out for him, as he hides his head and throws a hissy fit, when he figures out its me, he lowers his quills and lets me grab him. "What about you Cactus, are you evil? 'Yes.'

If some animal saw some moving thing with spikes would it consider it evil?" 'Yes.' Cactus looks at me, blankly then looks at my other hand, covered in drying blood. "What about that weird moss, is it evil for eating blood?"

I hear movement echo from deeper in the cave, so I grab my bag and put Cactus in my pocket. But he falls out and runs in deeper in the cave. I go after him, but the cave gets darker with each step.

I grab the sharp piece of metal, from my bag cutting my finger in the process.

My free hand was guiding me through the dark cave, as I let my hand drag along the stone walls. Through the darkness was a small light.

It was an electric glow stick, near an open crate with old looking blankets, and clothing in it and scattered around the floor. There was an awful smell coming from them. 'Lost in the lion's den now, aren't we.' There were footsteps coming from behind me, and something grabs my shoulder.

Out of reflex I stab the hand and a scream is let out from the victim.

I spring over to the light stick and shine it on my victim, it was a pale teenage girl with messy brown hair covering her face.

Her wound heals in seconds. She pushes her hair away revealing her shining red eyes "I'm sorry you just startled me" She speaks in a somewhat deep voice revealing a set of enlarged sharp fangs.

'Better run little lamb, the lion is here.' She was staring at my bleeding hands. "What are you?" I ask clenching the piece of metal.

"What do you mean, I'm a person, like you" She stutters nervously.

"People's hands don't do that, and they would definitely leave a scar after being stabbed. So, what are you really?" I say again.

"I'm a person, I swear!" she repeats. The horrible smell from the blankets, get me curious, so I lift some of them up while keeping an eye on the girl.

Under the blanket were chunks of flesh and blood splatters above more, stained blankets. "So, you're a cannibal?" I say dropping the blanket back down.

"No, no, it's not what it looks like, I just... drink blood" She looks at me with a nervous look "So you're a vampire" I say in a louder tone.

"I don-" she begins.

"Look, I don't care, I don't want trouble. I'm looking for a hedgehog, and I'll leave when the rain stops" I interrupt her. 'You love the trouble. You know you're happy to see someone else, especially a girl around your age.' Then we both hear a tiny hissing, at my feet that gets louder from the echoing of the cave. I glance down and there he was. Throwing another hissy fit.

I scoop him up with my free hand and, put him back in my pocket. Then I start walking out backwards keeping an eye on the girl.

"Wait, can I come with you? I haven't seen anyone in months. And there's nothing left for me here... Just things I want to forget." She begs.

"I don't trust you people anymore. You're the ones that made this mess." I respond, as I back away, my foot hits a rock and I trip backwards, falling on my back.

There's another short hiss coming from my pockets as cactus whines. Then I look up to see my makeshift weapon, now in the girls hands. She gives it a quick glance, then tosses it to the floor next to my feet. "I don't want to be alone, anymore." she says crouching down and giving me her hand.

I grab my sharp piece of metal, then grab her hand "Don't expect me to feed you." I groan, getting back on my feet.